[SOLVED] USB Ports won't work before Windows boots up

skore

Commendable
Dec 31, 2018
Hello everyone. I'm having trouble with the following situation and would really appreciate some input from you guys. Before I start to write the problem, I'd like to mention that I have a Google Docs file with the same question written, but with images showing the configurations and stuff.

Problem: Computer won’t detect USB Devices before windows boots up (then they work absolutely fine), therefore I must access the BIOS settings (and windows, if “wait for F1 if error” is enabled) with a PS2 keyboard and cannot format the computer with a USB stick. It’s also worth mentioning that the computer didn’t have this problem. One beautiful day I tried to access the BIOS Settings and couldn’t. I’ll explain in detail the things I've tried to do to solve the problem.

Computer specs
MOBO: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H61-M LX3 R2.0
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00Ghz
RAM: 2x Corsair Value 4GB @ 1600Mhz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760
PSU: Corsair CX500 80+ Bronze (500W)
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm
SSD: Kingston 240GB
DVD: LG DVDRAM

Hardware things
  • Replace the CR2032 battery
  • Reset the BIOS by removing the jumper, waiting a minute and putting it back
  • Tried 3 different USB keyboards (all work fine after windows boots)
  • Tried to place the devices in every single USB Port (none worked)
  • Start the computer without the GPU
  • Start the computer with a single RAM stick (all the possibilities)
  • Remove all the PSU cables from the MOBO and put them back
  • Remove the CPU and put it back, with new thermal paste (no pins were bent)
Nothing worked at all.

BIOS settings things
I’ll explain, for each pertinent screen, what I have tried to do.

Advanced\ USB Configuration
The screen shows that no USB Device is detected. These are the things that I've tried:
  • Enable/Disable Intel USB2.0 EHCI Controller
  • Enable/Disable Legacy USB Support
  • Enable/Disable EHCI Hand-off
Nothing really made a difference.

Advanced\ USB Configuration\ USB Single Port Control
Made sure that every USB port was enabled.

Boot
These are the things that I’ve tried:
  • Enable/Disable Fast Boot
  • With Fast Boot enabled, I’ve tried to modify the following options:
    • Change USB Support: Disabled/Partial/Full Initialization, but I’m pretty sure that I have more chances of getting it to work if it’s on Full initialization
    • Change PS2 Support: Not really important, as long as I can at least use a PS2 device (otherwise won’t be able to access the BIOS and Windows). I still tried disabling it to see if the USBs would be forcibly recognized. Didn’t work and had to reset the BIOS through the jumper
    • Change Next Boot after AC Power Loss to Fast/Normal Boot
  • With Fast Boot disabled, all the indented options below Fast Boot are unavailable and, to my surprise, if Fast Boot is Disabled, neither USB nor PS2 devices work, then I have to reset the BIOS.
Wait For ‘F1’ If Error MUST be Enabled if I at least want Windows to boot without a PS2 keyboard connected, otherwise a screen appears telling me to press F1 even though no keyboard is detected.

Another small thing I've tried on the Boot configuration is to set the SSD as the priority (over Windows Boot Manager), but this didn't help the situation in any way.

These are things that, even though I knew wouldn’t make a difference, tried anyway:
  • Update/Reinstall USB Drivers on Windows
Basically, I'm at loss with this situation. Can't figure it out what to do. If you need any other information, I'll provide as soon as I can.

Thank you very much in advance.

Solution
How old is the PSU in your build?

Reset the BIOS by removing the jumper, waiting a minute and putting it back
You should remove the battery for 30 mins before replacing.

What BIOS version are you on at the time of writing for your motherboard? If you're in need of going into BIOS to switch some devices around, then you can easily access that option when you press the shift key while you press on the restart option in Start. Once done, you should see a blue screen that should show you Troubleshoot>Advanced>UEFI Firmware.

Storage controller's settings on AHCI?

Lutfij

Titan

What BIOS version are you on at the time of writing for your motherboard? If you're in need of going into BIOS to switch some devices around, then you can easily access that option when you press the shift key while you press on the restart option in Start. Once done, you should see a blue screen that should show you Troubleshoot>Advanced>UEFI Firmware.

Solution

skore

Commendable
Dec 31, 2018

The PSU is around 7~8 years old (just like every other component, except for the SSD, which is 2 years old).

Removed the battery for half an hour, the BIOS was reset, but the problem persists (thank you to explaining to me that one minute isn't enough, though).

BIOS version: 1102 x64
Build date: 06/04/2013
ME version: 8.1.2.1318

Unfortunately, I haven't updated the BIOS to the newest version (2014) and it's not possible anymore. The update is done through ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility. It requires the .cap file to be inside a USB stick, which isn't detected by the computer, just like every other USB device before windows boots and/or inside the BIOS settings.

I have no problem accessing the BIOS with a PS2 keyboard using DEL/F2 key before windows boots, it makes no difference doing it through the Troubleshoot menu (USB Devices still won't work at all inside there, just tested it).

SATA Mode Selection is set to IDE, not AHCI and S.M.A.R.T Status Check is Enabled. Though, I don't understand how this could be related to the USB problem, since it would happen even if I unplugged the SATA devices.