USB power after shutdown

grimreaperx2

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I just built a new system using the Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard. Currently updated to the latest bios. My question is before I had a 680i board that kept power to usb so I could charge the stupid amount things I had to charge, like cellphone, ipod, camera, etc etc. But on my new Sabertooth p67 I cannot figure out how to keep those ports powered. I know it comes with a software thing called AI Charge but I dont want to install extra bs if i dont have to. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

System specs:
Windows 7 64bit ultimate
Asus Sabertooth P67
i5 2500k
Corsair 750tx
Gskill Ripjaw 4x2gbs

I hope thats enough info, and like I said I have the latest bios.

All asus boards i have used powered usb when off. In fact most gigabyte boards do as well(just not as much power on some of them).

Look in the bios for an option called EUP. if its there turn it off. it is a power saving feature to bring the system standby(off) power under 2 watts. This almost always turns off the usb ports.

It is under AI Tweaker. supposed to be disabled by default, but worth a look.

The AICharge is just an app for windows to allow the port to give more power(most times on USB3 ports since they are designed for more power) then the standard 500ma

grimreaperx2

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I have checked for both suggestions, I cannot find the sleep state setting, Could you be more specific to the location of it?

Also nukemaster, I checked the EUP setting and it is disabled. Still nothing...

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Unless you had turned it on, EUP would have been off as Nukemaster said; by default.

The S3 sleep state is in:
Power Management Setup
at the top will be:
ACPI Suspend Type
set to S3
Save and Exit

grimreaperx2

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I might just have to pick up a powered USB hub. This is kinda disappointing, but I might give the Asus Charger utility a try and see how it works. Although im not particularly sure how well my phone is going to like the rapid charge deal. Im not worried about rapid charging, normal is just fine, i let it charge overnight anyway.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I seriously doubt you will have a problem with the charge rates :)
The SO state is the "System On" state. The other states are:
S1: the most power-hungry of sleep-modes. All processor caches are flushed, and the CPU(s) stop executing instructions. Power to the CPU and RAM is maintained, Basically old machines are more likely to support S1.

S2: The CPU is powered off, this state is rather less found.

S3:In this state, RAM is still powered, although it is almost the only component that is. Since the state of the operating system and all applications, open documents, etc. lies all in main memory, you can resume work exactly where you left. The computer is faster to resume than to reboot, and if any running applications have information, it will not be written to the disk, This is the most common state.

S4: In this state, all content of main memory is saved to non-volatile memory such as a hard drive, preserving the state of the operating system, all applications, open documents etc. That means that after coming back from S4, you can resume work where it was left off in much the same way as with S3. The difference between S4 and S3, apart from the added time of moving the main memory content to disk and back, is that a power loss of a computer in S3 makes it lose all data in main memory.

S5: Soft Off-- Some components remain powered so the computer can "wake" from input from the keyboard, LAN, or USB device.

jpka

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Hi!
Recently i encounter same problem, i.e., exactly, no power on all USB ports *after* shutdown. The power presents before OS start (when only +5VSB present), and work when motherboard fully up, but lost when OS shuts down.
Firstly i look for well known 5V <-> 5VSB jumpers, but none found on my board (exactly photo is here http://www.robiecomputerparts.com/images/M_asus%202.jpg). Then i walk through BIOS setup settings, but none relevant was found. I do not try to change S5 to S3 state or so, because i never wish to power additional unneeded parts of computer for the price of only powering USB pwr pins.
I do not have Windows OS and do not have any idea how to use any tweak utilites or/and drivers provided with motherboard, because they all written for Windows.
Then i heat up my soldering iron and think to hardly tie +5vsb line from PS to all ports, because i do not need 'smart' motherboard - i need *reliable* motherboard. I do not need any over-current capability of ports, i need no more than 500 mA...
...But i suddenly notice that *keyboard* PS/2 port also powerless after shutdown.
Then, using 'Power - APM configurarion - Power On by PS/2 keyboard' bios settings return power to PS/2 port, and, USB ports also now powered even after shutdown. But ... for others, suggestion like "turn on your PS/2 port to get USB work" can sounds like joke.
My board is P7H55-M/USB3. But such problems exist on other boards, like P5QL. This board *have* all needed hardware jumpers 5V <-> 5VSB. But... They are simply not work! Ports are not powered until you change something in BIOS (i do not remember exactly what settings i was use).
As a conclusion: Motherboards tend to go more smarter and consequently less useful. Get ready. :)
Keywords: USB, power, powering, 5V, +5V, 5VSB, +5VSB, sleep, shutdown, tweak, FET, jumper, BIOS, mA, ATX

jpka

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Hi!
I look carefully in my BIOS setup but did not found "AI Charge" feature. I have BIOS setup version 0901 shown at top and v02.61 shown at bottom of setup screen, MB model is P7H55-M/USB3.
Then i search on Internet and it looks like "AI Charge" feature is software-only solution. So i can't test it, due to it, like all Asus bundle software, is written for Windows :??: , but i no have Windows, i am sorry...

jpka, You make a valid point about heating up the soldering iron.

You can just tie lets say one or two ports(the front case ports for instance) directly to the power supply and ALWAYS have power. Just make sure it is not connected to the motherboards usb power as well.

So just take off the power cables to the board and send them to the power supply and leave the data wires intact running to the board.

I have not seen any system without usb when powered off for a while, but have not checked too much to be honest as my media center is always on and can charge things for me.

Time to check my Maximus Gene-Z....