Question USB power delivery issue on Gigabyte B365M-DS3H ?

clint2000

Reputable
May 26, 2018
Hi,

I have noticed a weird issue lately with my desktop PC whereby the USB ports don't seem to supply enough power to connected devices.
Sometimes my wifi adapter will refuse to connect, my external HD runs really slow and when I go to charge my Android phone, it says "charging slowly".

I have tried many things from disabling USB selective function in Windows, checking the power delivery on the root hub (which does say D0) and even updating the bios to the latest version (F7) but to no avail.
Does anyone have any advice or is it a RMA job do you think?

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
Hi,

I have noticed a weird issue lately with my desktop PC whereby the USB ports don't seem to supply enough power to connected devices.
Sometimes my wifi adapter will refuse to connect, my external HD runs really slow and when I go to charge my Android phone, it says "charging slowly".

I have tried many things from disabling USB selective function in Windows, checking the power delivery on the root hub (which does say D0) and even updating the bios to the latest version (F7) but to no avail.
Does anyone have any advice or is it a RMA job do you think?
Wow, I have the same board, I bought a WiFi adapter just today and have been getting speeds under 1Mbps whereas a laptop in the same location has 50+Mbps.
Are you having trouble with the speeds?

clint2000

Reputable
May 26, 2018
Wow, I have the same board, I bought a WiFi adapter just today and have been getting speeds under 1Mbps whereas a laptop in the same location has 50+Mbps.
Are you having trouble with the speeds?
Hi Samuel and yes, very poor speeds. I managed to fix it eventually though by going into the adapter properties and ensuring the wirless mode was changed from auto to the one in the middle that has A C in the name, this then took my speeds to what they should be.

I also purchased a USB power tester and it reported all my ports as fine, so it's not power delivery.
I am beginning to suspect a bug with the board or the latest bios (F7) and unfortunately you cannot flashback to the previous bios according to Gigabytes notes. :(

I have an older B360 board in my box of techy stuff so I think I will do a swap and see if it is any better.

Another thing is, is I have a weird graphical glitch on the Bios Logo sometimes where it just shows a load of garbage where the logo usually is but only for a slight second and it then goes back to normal and proceed to load Windows. It then might do the same at the welcome screen, again only for a brief second - games etc seem fine. It might be the power supply but if it was, surely other things would be happening too.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
Hi Samuel and yes, very poor speeds. I managed to fix it eventually though by going into the adapter properties and ensuring the wirless mode was changed from auto to the one in the middle that has A C in the name, this then took my speeds to what they should be.

I also purchased a USB power tester and it reported all my ports as fine, so it's not power delivery.
I am beginning to suspect a bug with the board or the latest bios (F7) and unfortunately you cannot flashback to the previous bios according to Gigabytes notes. :(

I have an older B360 board in my box of techy stuff so I think I will do a swap and see if it is any better.

Another thing is, is I have a weird graphical glitch on the Bios Logo sometimes where it just shows a load of garbage where the logo usually is but only for a slight second and it then goes back to normal and proceed to load Windows. It then might do the same at the welcome screen, again only for a brief second - games etc seem fine. It might be the power supply but if it was, surely other things would be happening too.
Could you please explain the steps you took to get the speeds back?

clint2000

Reputable
May 26, 2018
Could you please explain the steps you took to get the speeds back?
Hi Sam,

To do this, you need to:

1. Open Control Panel (Search through start bar)
  2. Go to "Network and Sharing Center"
  3. On the left column, choose "Change Adapter Settings"
  4. Locate your Wi-Fi connection and right click and choose "Properties"
  5. Click on the button called "Configure"
  6. Locate "Advanced" tab across the top and go into this
  7. Find "Wireless Mode" and ensure 802.11 a/n/ac is selected
  8. If you don't have the mode available which has either ac or ax listed, it would mean your wireless adapter isn't capable of connecting to a dedicated 5ghz Wi-Fi

Hope it helps :)

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
Hi Sam,

To do this, you need to:

1. Open Control Panel (Search through start bar)
  2. Go to "Network and Sharing Center"
  3. On the left column, choose "Change Adapter Settings"
  4. Locate your Wi-Fi connection and right click and choose "Properties"
  5. Click on the button called "Configure"
  6. Locate "Advanced" tab across the top and go into this
  7. Find "Wireless Mode" and ensure 802.11 a/n/ac is selected
  8. If you don't have the mode available which has either ac or ax listed, it would mean your wireless adapter isn't capable of connecting to a dedicated 5ghz Wi-Fi
Hope it helps :)
Thank you Clint, does the same apply to a 2.4Ghz setup?