USB Power meters

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I have this USB 3.0 power meter but I've recently needed to do testing of USB-C, PD devices and I've realised this one isn't gonna work, is it? Will I absolutely have to have one that can handle the latest USB 3.1 speeds and have USB-C inputs?

Ralston18

Titan
I think not. USB is 5 volts.

As for connectors, you will need adapters to change the native connector to straight USB and then make a connection into/through the USB power meter.

FYI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware

Exclusion possibly being any need to measure any Power Delivery devices. (See the applicable section in the link.)

Do remember that the link information is basically unverified so do some additional research as necessary and warranted.

You can probably make up you own set of adapters if you can cut and splice USB cables - all you need to have are the applicable pinout connections.

Without adapters you could find yourself needing a new or another Drok for any/every USB type connector.

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I think not. USB is 5 volts.
Ok, I'm a bit confused, sorry.
I plugged my LG G6 into my desk charger like I always do where I always get fast charging (QuickCharge 3) but this time I put the Drok between the desk charger and the USB-C/USB-A cable. And the phone said it was charging at regular speed. So I'm thinking that what that means is that the USB power meter impedes the flow of faster charge to the phone, right? So then that means I DO need a power meter that can handle USB 3.1 and PD?

Ralston18

Titan
I am going to be a bit cynical about gadgets and testing.

An old joke about "Government accuracy" goes something like: "measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe."

It is nice to have one device that can serve multiple functions. Lots of gadgets (SD card readers for example) offer such flexibility. But there are trade-offs; only so much can be packed into a small device before something has to give....

For the most part I tend to take a jaundiced eye approach to "gadgets" that are often made cheaply and very much free to make whatever claims the manufacturer deems necessary in order to boast sales.

"Compatible with" always sets off the warning flags in my mind.

Any truly useful or successful gadget gets copied and sold under any number of labels. Then there are outright fakes and counterfeits. Some tolerances are just ignored and where a + or - 5% resistor should be used a 20% is tossed in. Etc., etc..

Standards (what truly is "QuickCharge3"?) are often somewhat vague and can be taken advantage of. Testing can be done under ideal circumstances. For example, just because a USB connector is blue that does not prove that the connector/cable is really 3.0 or even being capable of 3.0 performance.

No problem with taking measurements or otherwise observing and checking performance.

Sure you can get some voltage or current readout but what is the margin of error in that readout? The only way to get a sense of that is to test things yourself with known voltages and currents. "Calibrate" your instruments and cables.

Yes, the Drok power meter will impede the flow - resistance is inherent. Could also be the cable and/or connectors at the ends of the cables. The readout itself may have some native + or - error.

Make a couple of USB adapters that you can use to insert into the connection path between power sources and loads. Then use a multi-meter that you have calibrated to obtain voltage and current readings. Basically you have full control and are not relying on some "gadget" for accuracy.

Keep the testing as simple and direct as possible.

Gadgets may be good for a quick troubleshooting assessment but I would not put much faith in the results beyond that.