[SOLVED] USB Power When System Turned Off, How?

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
I can't find anything in my motherboard manual or google or looking around the bios for this option. This should be simple, but anyways, I want my usb to be getting power when the system is turned off so I can charge my phone through my computer during the night. I have an ARock Z270 Killer SLI/ac motherboard, not the pro version although they probably use the same bios I am guessing. If you want the bios version that I have, I can get that to if required. Anyways, all I found was this thread: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts...270-usb-ports-always-have-power-even-when-off

which was for turning off power to usb when computer is off to set to enabled, however, mine is disabled. So I don't know if my motherboard supports this at this point or not?

Last edited:

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Wait, you think its an hardware issue? I honestly thought it was software with bios setting just needed to be either enabled or disabled because I was to silly to find it. Well, this changes my game plan. I will try clearing the CMOS and seeing if my bios is up to date or not. I will update after I do these things.

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Okay so little bit of an update, so I have cleared the cmos, cmos battery removal, and reset time back as well as the power setting you mentioned and still no power when computer is off. I also went ahead and downloaded the current bios onto a usb drive, and yes I formatted the usb drive to FAT32 first, and then went into the bios and the bios can't detect the file...

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Okay so it all of a sudden recognized the bios file and I went ahead and got the bios updated to the current one for my board and verified it with cpu-z. I checked to see if the setting is still enabled and it is. I shut the pc off and still no power to usb when system is turned off. Problem is still there. Bios flash was a success but did not eliminate my problem. You stated earlier that you thought it could be psu related, could you explain how it could be psu related because my system boots up and everything including booting to the OS (windows 10 Home 64 bit) and is stable. I even played games on it for a few hours today and no issues, perfectly normal, so that to me tells me it can't be a psu problem. I don't hear noises from the psu either to indicate that it is failing, so this tells me the psu is not failing either. I think it is a perfectly good psu, so how could it exactly be a psu?

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Okay so I have downloaded the APP shop and the app charger and still nothing. I have also tried going into device manager for the power management and still nothing. The page for the app charger that you provided shows 270 motherboards being supported. I also checked that ErP was disabled in the bios and it was, so the standby power s5. So I still have no power to usb to charge my iPhone when the system is turned off. When the system is on, charges my phone just fine. So still no power to usb when system is turned off. I feel like I have tried everything software wise at least. But I don't think it is hardware either because my system is performing just fine apart from this slight problem. So I have no clue as to why my usb aren't getting power when system is turned off when they should be.

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
I have doubled checked all the settings I can think of in the bios and still nothing. I will call asrock's tech support tommrow as I don't know anymore. There is no reason that I can think of either software or hardware wise that this problem should exist.

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Ya the strange part was that the asrock tech person I spoke to sounded like he wasn't for sure, but I don't know what else to do so I have a feeling my board just can't deliver power through usb when system is shut off.