Question USB Print server for USB printers

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
I'm in a bit of a bind.

I migrated 10 out of 25 systems from $350 zebra label printers to $80 Dymo Laser Writer 450 Turbo printers after more than half of the Zebras became obsolete following our primary software's update. Consulting our primary software's website I took from their list the exact dymo printer model they specified.

The trouble I have is that the Dymo's work erratically, meaning they print but hang up at odd intervals forcing us to waste almost an equal number of labels.

After a lot of searching I came across this old spiceworks post. The explanation is logical and makes sense, however I do not want to dedicate an IP address for each printer, it would consume IPs unnecessarily and require I replace existing switches to add additional switch ports to accommodate print server devices.

I'm hoping someone here has seen the issue mentioned in the link and may have a solution (Perhaps a USB print server to USB printer, no IP required) that will resolve the issue.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm in a bit of a bind.

I migrated 10 out of 25 systems from $350 zebra label printers to $80 Dymo Laser Writer 450 Turbo printers after more than half of the Zebras became obsolete following our primary software's update. Consulting our primary software's website I took from their list the exact dymo printer model they specified.

The trouble I have is that the Dymo's work erratically, meaning they print but hang up at odd intervals forcing us to waste almost an equal number of labels.

After a lot of searching I came across this old spiceworks post. The explanation is logical and makes sense, however I do not want to dedicate an IP address for each printer, it would consume IPs unnecessarily and require I replace existing switches to add additional switch ports to accommodate print server devices.

I'm hoping someone here has seen the issue mentioned in the link and may have a solution (Perhaps a USB print server to USB printer, no IP required) that will resolve the issue.
Print servers require IP addresses. They are a computer. They communicate via TCP/IP. Therefore they need an address.
You either use USB or IP.
Personally, I would be concerned for the duarability of Dymo labels compared to the Zebra stock. Maybe that isn't an issue because the labels have a limited lifespan, but for durable labels, I wouldn't use Dymo.

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Print servers require IP addresses. They are a computer. They communicate via TCP/IP. Therefore they need an address.
You either use USB or IP.
Personally, I would be concerned for the duarability of Dymo labels compared to the Zebra stock. Maybe that isn't an issue because the labels have a limited lifespan, but for durable labels, I wouldn't use Dymo.
In our case, not bar codes, the labels are used for perhaps 4 hours, likely less. It been a long time since I used a print server. I had hoped there was something new that could remove the need for IP.
Thanks