USB PRINTER not recognized

We are trying to load a Epson R200 printer. Epson sent instruction on how to
remove the old drivers we had been loading and unloading. The old drivers,
local port) in the printer properties detail tab. Cannot use the delete port
function as it stateds port EPUSB1 (Unknown local port) connected to printer
(with or without the USB printer cable connected). This port was there
before using Epson's new driver removal instructions.

After removing drivers and reinstalling with the new instructions, we have a
EPUSB1: (EPSON R200 STYLUS PHOTO) port listed in the properties detail PRINT
TO THE FOLLOWING PORT drop down list. We can select it then apply, but the
next time the pinter properties detail is opened the EPUSB1 (Unknown local
port) will be shown in the PRINT TO THE FOLLOWING PORT window. If we unplug
the USB cable from the printer the EPUSB1: (EPSON R200 STYLUS PHOTO) will
change to EPUSB1: (cable not connected). Reconnecting the cable and
reopening the printer properties detail the EPUSB1: (EPSON R200 STYLUS PHOTO)
reappears in the dropdown list.

It appears 98SE is finding the printer and Identifying it correctly. But it
cannot find it for printing. We think that the EPUSB1 (Unknown local port)
is the problem. Is there anyway to delete this port. If we install another
brand of printer can we then use the printer properties detail delete port
function, or will the EPUSB1 (Unknown local port) still be connected due to
an driver or partial driver.

The registry has a "HKEY_LOCAL_MACH\SYS\CURRENT CONTROL
SET\CONTROL\PRINT\PORTS\EPUSB1" Key. Deleting it did not remove the EPUSB1
(Unknown local port) port. The registry also has a Key
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACH\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT VER\CFGMGR\PHANTOM\2A
"Hardware Key" Data "LPTENum\EpsonStylus_photo_R2c5c0\EPUSB1" . We have not
tried deleting this key yet.

Can anyone give any light on deleting a printer port from the printer
properties?

wouldbee

Not quite sure how to answer your question..... I also have a R200 and have
not had to do anything but plug it into the USB port. Can you confirm that
your USB ports are enabled in BIOS. ESUSB1should NOT be disabled or removed.
It will show as disconnected if you switch off the printer or remove the
cable. Bob

"wouldbee" <wouldbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are trying to load a Epson R200 printer. Epson sent instruction on how
> remove the old drivers we had been loading and unloading. The old drivers,
(Unknown
> local port) in the printer properties detail tab. Cannot use the delete
port
> function as it stateds port EPUSB1 (Unknown local port) connected to
printer
> (with or without the USB printer cable connected). This port was there
> before using Epson's new driver removal instructions.
>
> After removing drivers and reinstalling with the new instructions, we have
> EPUSB1: (EPSON R200 STYLUS PHOTO) port listed in the properties detail
PRINT
> TO THE FOLLOWING PORT drop down list. We can select it then apply, but
the
> next time the pinter properties detail is opened the EPUSB1 (Unknown local
> port) will be shown in the PRINT TO THE FOLLOWING PORT window. If we
unplug
> the USB cable from the printer the EPUSB1: (EPSON R200 STYLUS PHOTO) will
> change to EPUSB1: (cable not connected). Reconnecting the cable and
> reopening the printer properties detail the EPUSB1: (EPSON R200 STYLUS
PHOTO)
> reappears in the dropdown list.
>
> It appears 98SE is finding the printer and Identifying it correctly. But
it
> cannot find it for printing. We think that the EPUSB1 (Unknown local
port)
> is the problem. Is there anyway to delete this port. If we install
another
> brand of printer can we then use the printer properties detail delete port
> function, or will the EPUSB1 (Unknown local port) still be connected due
> an driver or partial driver.
>
> The registry has a "HKEY_LOCAL_MACH\SYS\CURRENT CONTROL
> SET\CONTROL\PRINT\PORTS\EPUSB1" Key. Deleting it did not remove the
EPUSB1
> (Unknown local port) port. The registry also has a Key
> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACH\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT VER\CFGMGR\PHANTOM\2A
> "Hardware Key" Data "LPTENum\EpsonStylus_photo_R2c5c0\EPUSB1" . We have
not
> tried deleting this key yet.
>
> Can anyone give any light on deleting a printer port from the printer
> properties?
>
> wouldbee

Bob B

BIOS shows USB enabled. Digital camera downloads on USB port and Music is
copied to player on USB port. Only two USB 1.1 ports on this old socket 7
machine.

The one EPUSB1: (EPSON R200 STYLUS PHOTO) will show disconnected when cable
is disconnected. The other/second EPUSB1 (Unknown local port) does not
change.
The other/second EPUSB1 (Unknown local port) will still remain when the
printer driver and Epson printer software are removed/uninstalled. Also,
per Espon support, ran C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\EPUSBUN program to uninstall this
device.

No printer drivers shown in device manager and only EPSON R200 STYLUS PHOTO
driver shown in system tools, system information, component "history".

I think the EPUSB1 (Unknown local port) is a port that may have been
generate from having a USB printer connected and loading a driver for a LPT1
printer. Just a wild quess. If we could get that EPUSB1 removed/deleted,
maybe we could APPLY PRINT TO THE FOLLOWING PORT "EPUSB1: (EPSON R200 STYLUS
PHOTO)".

With your machine and R200 printer, when you run START: SETTINGS:
PRINTERS: R200 PRINTER: PROPORTIES: DETAIL TAB what is shown in the PRINT TO
THE FOLLOWING PORT?

Thanks
wouldbee

"Bob B" wrote:

> Not quite sure how to answer your question..... I also have a R200 and have
> not had to do anything but plug it into the USB port. Can you confirm that
> your USB ports are enabled in BIOS. ESUSB1should NOT be disabled or removed.
> It will show as disconnected if you switch off the printer or remove the
> cable. Bob
>
> "wouldbee" <wouldbee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We are trying to load a Epson R200 printer. Epson sent instruction on how
> > remove the old drivers we had been loading and unloading. The old drivers,
> (Unknown
> > local port) in the printer properties detail tab. Cannot use the delete
> port
> > function as it stateds port EPUSB1 (Unknown local port) connected to
> printer
> > (with or without the USB printer cable connected). This port was there
> > before using Epson's new driver removal instructions.
> >
> > After removing drivers and reinstalling with the new instructions, we have
> > EPUSB1: (EPSON R200 STYLUS PHOTO) port listed in the properties detail
> PRINT
> > TO THE FOLLOWING PORT drop down list. We can select it then apply, but
> the
> > next time the pinter properties detail is opened the EPUSB1 (Unknown local
> > port) will be shown in the PRINT TO THE FOLLOWING PORT window. If we
> unplug
> > the USB cable from the printer the EPUSB1: (EPSON R200 STYLUS PHOTO) will
> > change to EPUSB1: (cable not connected). Reconnecting the cable and
> > reopening the printer properties detail the EPUSB1: (EPSON R200 STYLUS
> PHOTO)
> > reappears in the dropdown list.
> >
> > It appears 98SE is finding the printer and Identifying it correctly. But
> it
> > cannot find it for printing. We think that the EPUSB1 (Unknown local
> port)
> > is the problem. Is there anyway to delete this port. If we install
> another
> > brand of printer can we then use the printer properties detail delete port
> > function, or will the EPUSB1 (Unknown local port) still be connected due
> > an driver or partial driver.
> >
> > The registry has a "HKEY_LOCAL_MACH\SYS\CURRENT CONTROL
> > SET\CONTROL\PRINT\PORTS\EPUSB1" Key. Deleting it did not remove the
> EPUSB1
> > (Unknown local port) port. The registry also has a Key
> > "HKEY_LOCAL_MACH\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT VER\CFGMGR\PHANTOM\2A
> > "Hardware Key" Data "LPTENum\EpsonStylus_photo_R2c5c0\EPUSB1" . We have
> not
> > tried deleting this key yet.
> >
> > Can anyone give any light on deleting a printer port from the printer
> > properties?
> >
> > wouldbee

Epson sent a another solution that worked. Printer is presently working.

Ran MSCONFIG WIN.INI tab {port} then deselected the EPUSB1:
Rebooted then from printer properties selected the EPUSB1: (ESPON
STYLUS--------) port. The other EPUSB1: port was not listed.

wouldbee

> Epson sent a another solution that worked. Printer is presently working.
>
> Ran MSCONFIG WIN.INI tab {port} then deselected the EPUSB1:
> Rebooted then from printer properties selected the EPUSB1: (ESPON
> STYLUS--------) port. The other EPUSB1: port was not listed.
>
> wouldbee

Looks like it is sorted and you was right to remove one of the EPUSB1 ports.
As I have a second Epson printer connected to my LPT1 port I did have a
small confliction problem but that was my own fault for installing the R200
twice. Both now work well as they both have their own port connection in the
Print To of the properties box. I use compatible cartridges from
www.choicestationary.com which work well.