rubabcomm

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Hello,
there is no lpt1 printer port on my new desktop computer. need to fix my usb printer to print from my DOS base programe.

Welcome Newcomer. Try this...
Install the loop back adapter

a) In Control Panel, double click on Add Hardware.
b) Click Next
c) When the scan finishes, select "Yes, I have already connected the hardware"
d) Click Next
e) Scroll to the bottom of the list and select "Add a new hardware device"
Click Next
f) Select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)"
g) Click Next
h) Select "Network Adapters"
i) Click Next
j) Select "Microsoft" under the Manufacturer list.
k) Select "Microsoft Loopback Adapter" in the Network Adapter list.
l) Click Next
m) Click Next
n) Click Finish

Configure the Adapter
a) The loopback adapter can be configured the same as a regular network card.
b) Set a static IP address. For example 192.168.100.1, just as long as it isn't the same IP as your physical network adapter.

Share the printer. Use an easy to remember name.
a) the steps to do this vary upon the version of Windows

Capture the printer port.
a) Open Command Prompt
b) Type NET USE LPT1: \\[Computer Name]\Printer /PERSISTENT:YES
c) press Enter

I'm not questioning your methods, just trying to understand. Why do you need the loopback adapter?

My method is to install the printer normally through "add new printer", then setting it to share. The I use the net use lpt1: command as you described above. It works fine every time and with no need for the loopback adapter.

You're right. The loopback adapter isn't necessary for configuring a LPTx; it is for simulating a live network. Force of habit, I guess. I've had to cofigure computers to allow DOS-based software to print from network printers. Installing the loopback adapter allowed me to test the printers while the network was down.

manoj_87

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Hi! This is Manoj. As per your instruction i have executed the Net Use command from the server but still the client Laptop connected in the network via wireless router is giving error that printer not responding....
The client PC is able to ping the server n also i m getting printouts from the server but not from the client...
what could be the possible sollution.