Question USB problem ?

nerdfighter

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
For the past few weeks ive been having random freezes which coincide with a sound which is like the sound you get when you plug in a usb/new hardware found pop up.It only happens sometime but when it does it keep at it for a good 20 mins.At first i though it was my mouse braking down but with the image freeze/cant alt-tab or anything i'm thinking it might be a faulty driver but can't tell which one.

I`m using win7, cpu i5-4440 64bit, gpu radeon rx 550.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Resource Monitor/History for error codes that correspond with the times that the USB connect/disconnect sounds occur. Event Viewer (less user friendly) may also provide some clue. Right clicking errors will provide more information. That additional information may or may not be helpful.

How many USB devices are connected to the computer? Are those devices drawing power via the USB port(s) or independently powered either directly or via some USB hub?

Overall, I would suspect a loose or poor connection somewhere - most like a USB device. Sounds end when something has warmed up, expanded, and fits tighter.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

If the problem continues then try to narrow down to a specific device. If unsuccessful, then begin reinstalling USB device drivers starting with the mouse. Manually download drivers directly from the applicable manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

No third party installers.

nerdfighter

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
I only have 2 USB ports at the back of the case that are used by mouse and keyboard.
I reinstalled the driver for the mouse from manufacturer and also got USBlogview to see what exactly its turning off and it appears that port 3 and 4 turn off at about 7-8 seconds apart and then turn back on at the same time.
What i dont get its why the freezes like if i`m in a game or watching a movie image stops until they reconnect.This had happened before about 3 weeks ago but then worked fine until yesterday ... its inconsistent

TRENDING THREADS