USB problem

Last week I went through the Dell Support nightmare with my one month old
8300. The Tech support person had me reinstall XP losing everything on my
hard drive when in fact the problem was due to faulty sockets that the
memory goes into. Very frustrating and many hours on the phone and
countless hours reinstalling data that was needlessly erased thanks to Dell.
Lesson learned I will not in the future buy another Dell with support like
that.

Anyway my problem now is after reinstalling everything and the drivers and
XP upgrades I am getting an error message that pops up everytime I turn on
my monitor. It says Hi-Speed USB device plugged into non Hi-speed USB Hub.
I have updated the drivers for the USB 2.0 and have all the necessary XP
upgrades and can't for the life of me figure out how to fix this. I've
tried moving plugs around and still get the error. For some reason it is
not locating the USB 2.0. Can anyone here help as I am very hesitant to
call the Dell support people again.

Thanks.

russell

You shouldn't need to install separate USB 2.0 drivers with Windows XP;
they're installed with the chipset driver. Did you install the Intel
chipset drivers before anything else right after installation completed for
Windows as Microsoft and Intel advise?

If your monitor has separate USB hubs on it, the monitor may require it's
own separate drivers to operate, and the hubs on the monitor may only
support USB 1.1. You'd expect to receive a message like this if you have
USB 2.0 devices plugged into USB ports that only support 1.1.

Hope you get things worked out.
Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

"Koan" <dlerch@nospamuniserve.com> wrote in message
> Last week I went through the Dell Support nightmare with my one month old
> 8300. The Tech support person had me reinstall XP losing everything on my
> hard drive when in fact the problem was due to faulty sockets that the
> memory goes into. Very frustrating and many hours on the phone and
> countless hours reinstalling data that was needlessly erased thanks to
Dell.
> Lesson learned I will not in the future buy another Dell with support like
> that.
>
> Anyway my problem now is after reinstalling everything and the drivers and
> XP upgrades I am getting an error message that pops up everytime I turn on
> my monitor. It says Hi-Speed USB device plugged into non Hi-speed USB
Hub.
> I have updated the drivers for the USB 2.0 and have all the necessary XP
> upgrades and can't for the life of me figure out how to fix this. I've
> tried moving plugs around and still get the error. For some reason it is
> not locating the USB 2.0. Can anyone here help as I am very hesitant to
> call the Dell support people again.
>
> Thanks.

No data backup regimen?

"Koan" <dlerch@nospamuniserve.com> wrote in message
> Last week I went through the Dell Support nightmare with my one month old
> 8300. The Tech support person had me reinstall XP losing everything on my
> hard drive when in fact the problem was due to faulty sockets that the
> memory goes into. Very frustrating and many hours on the phone and
> countless hours reinstalling data that was needlessly erased thanks to
Dell.
> Lesson learned I will not in the future buy another Dell with support like
> that.
>
> Anyway my problem now is after reinstalling everything and the drivers and
> XP upgrades I am getting an error message that pops up everytime I turn on
> my monitor. It says Hi-Speed USB device plugged into non Hi-speed USB
Hub.
> I have updated the drivers for the USB 2.0 and have all the necessary XP
> upgrades and can't for the life of me figure out how to fix this. I've
> tried moving plugs around and still get the error. For some reason it is
> not locating the USB 2.0. Can anyone here help as I am very hesitant to
> call the Dell support people again.
>
> Thanks.

Yes I had all my data backed up, but it takes several days to put all of the
software back on. I do accounting and it is not easy to catch up.

> No data backup regimen?
>
> "Koan" <dlerch@nospamuniserve.com> wrote in message
> > Last week I went through the Dell Support nightmare with my one month
old
> > 8300. The Tech support person had me reinstall XP losing everything on
my
> > hard drive when in fact the problem was due to faulty sockets that the
> > memory goes into. Very frustrating and many hours on the phone and
> > countless hours reinstalling data that was needlessly erased thanks to
> Dell.
> > Lesson learned I will not in the future buy another Dell with support
like
> > that.
> >
> > Anyway my problem now is after reinstalling everything and the drivers
and
> > XP upgrades I am getting an error message that pops up everytime I turn
on
> > my monitor. It says Hi-Speed USB device plugged into non Hi-speed USB
> Hub.
> > I have updated the drivers for the USB 2.0 and have all the necessary XP
> > upgrades and can't for the life of me figure out how to fix this. I've
> > tried moving plugs around and still get the error. For some reason it
is
> > not locating the USB 2.0. Can anyone here help as I am very hesitant to
> > call the Dell support people again.
> >
> > Thanks.

Backing up your data is key, but did you know that you can also backup your
system partition? If you use imaging software, like Norton Ghost, you can
create a perfect bit for bit copy of your system partition. It takes just
minutes to do (once you learn how) and just minutes to restore. No more
reinstalling, reconfiguring and updating software!

Rocky