Question USB randomly dies Windows 10, new rig AMD Ryzen

omgmajk

Commendable
Dec 8, 2020
About four months ago I got a new computer, pre-built from a company where I live. I didn't feel like putting it together myself as I haven't put together a computer for a number of years and they seem to get more and more flashy.

Specs:
Mob: ASUS ROG STRIX B-550-F Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
RAM: HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3200MHZ 16gb (2x8) hwi shows it at 1597.1mhz though?
PSU: 500Watt
Mouse: old logitech gaming MX518

At first I had a problem with all USB devices connected suddenly dying/reconnecting at the same time so I sent the computer back so they could take a look at it, however, when they did they did not find any problems with the motherboard and could not recreate the problem. They did however update BIOS and sent it back to me. They also turned off virtualization in BIOS - something I had turned on to mess around with linux in vbox, as I've done with all my other computers for scripting/programming. The issue can be found here, in this reddit thread, along with screenshots of my setup:
link

Since the computer came back to me, I have a slightly different problem. Now I don't have any problem with my disks or keyboard reconnecting but I still have it with my logitech mouse and my corsair usb headset who still randomly seems to die and come back. To be honest the mouse mostly dies while I'm gaming, and it takes several hours for it to do so. My headphones seem a little more random, they are also connected to my front ports while my mouse is connected to one of the back ports.

Windows doesn't log any events when this is happening, at all, so I have no error codes and I can't make the problem happen except game a couple of hours and there it is.

The company does not want to take the computer back again until I can prove that something is wrong, but as long as I don't get any error messages or codes I can't exactly keep track of everything.

I have tried upgrading all drivers with the help of Driver Talent and I have turned off the setting that lets USB hubs power down in my device manager.

Any suggestions to what the problem might be would be helpful, any suggestions on how to log these events or how to prove they exist would also be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I edited your post as reddit links always look strange, and linked the IMG gallery into main post.

Might have helped if you told us more in here and not asked people to look at reddit
I had this exact setup with my old computer and I basically just moved everything over to the new one. Two USB disks, keyboard, mouse and a pair of headphones (also a 360 xbox controller that I somehow can't get working again eventhough it worked perfectly in win 10 on my old computer).
just so we know what USB items are

I would like to know if there are any ways of testing specific connections other than what I have been doing - which is mainly starting and stopping moves and downloads. The deluge/ubuntu files are all going to different drives as a test and it seemed to work just fine.

I googled the error code and that led my to this thread:

1597.1 is right for 3200mnhz ram, its close enough to 1600 (mine is about same)

Programs like driver talent can make it worse.

Does it happen in safe mode?

PSU: 500Watt
Do you know what brand/model the PSU is?

omgmajk

Commendable
Dec 8, 2020
I edited your post as reddit links always look strange, and linked the IMG gallery into main post.

Might have helped if you told us more in here and not asked people to look at reddit

just so we know what USB items are

1597.1 is right for 3200mnhz ram, its close enough to 1600 (mine is about same)

Programs like driver talent can make it worse.

Does it happen in safe mode?

Do you know what brand/model the PSU is?

Thanks for editing my post, I didn't think about it.

I have not gotten it to happen in safe mode yet, but I haven't exactly been sitting around alot in safe mode either. I have never had an issue with driver talent before, that specific program has helped me a few times to find drivers for obscure things. But for some reason you are not the first person to speak negatively about it so I might need to do something about that when I get this to work.

The current USB items that I have plugged in are:
Back ports:
Logitech MX518 mouse
Generic USB keyboard from "andersson" brand
Intenso USB drive
WD Elements USB drive

Front ports:
USB dongle for Microsoft Xbox One hand control
Corsair VOID Pro USB-wired headphones

My PSU is the following: Seasonic Core GC 500 500W PSU

The only things that seem to "die"/reconnect randomly are my mouse and my headphones. The rest seems to have stopped doing that or are working fine. I tried a wireless mouse for a little while but could not get the problem to happen, it was connected to my front ports when I tried. These items still work perfectly fine in my other computer as I had to plug it back in while I waited for the company to "repair" this one for three weeks without incident, they also work fine in my laptop.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know of any bad Seasonic PSU, I only asked as it wasn't labelled. And because bad PSU can be cause of losing power on USB. I don't think that is case here.

it could be a power surge on one of the usb devices is causing others to d/c. Just throwing ideas out there :)

Safe mode just tells us if its a driver causing error since only windows drivers work there.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

I have never had an issue with driver talent before, that specific program has helped me a few times to find drivers for obscure things. But for some reason you are not the first person to speak negatively about it so I might need to do something about that when I get this to work.

I just don't like any 3rd party driver updater, I haven't actually used that one. I used to use Driver Booster but after it installed the wrong driver on 2 different occasions I leaned my lesson. Better off using something like Driver View that just shows what you have and manually look for updates, but the trick there becomes who to trust. Best choice is makers of hardware, sometimes it just gets tricky to work out who that is. I been doing it for 4 years and its still fun sometimes.

All else fails just ask us, we can find most drivers.

omgmajk

Commendable
Dec 8, 2020
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

I will have to play some borderlands all weekend in this mode and see what happens.

I just wish windows would give me error codes or something when it happens so that I had anything to go on.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if devices are old its always possible one is taking the rest with it. I have seen weird behaviour from USB devices when they are dying, my old mouse used to cause GPU drivers to not work. You may not get any error codes if its hardware.

omgmajk

Commendable
Dec 8, 2020
So my headphones still does it's "reconnect" sound when I tried Windows Safe Mode today. I didn't have much to do so I played Diablo 2 in there and I'm not sure that it can even trigger the mouse problem since it's not that intense on either hardware nor clicking amount. I have bought a new mouse that I will receive next week for further testing and will download some more things to do when in safe mode since I don't have any internet there.

I updated BIOS last week to the latest for ROG STRIX 550-F Gaming, version 1401 since I read several times on other places on the internet that people had USB problems with previous versions aswell. My mouse reconnected last night, for the first time with the new bios. But to be fair I haven't been using the computer much the last week since I have had other duties. It did it while I was afk and when I came back to the computer the DPI had changed (meaning it had reconnected since I have to update DPI every time it does (or when windows reboots)). This has never happened before, usually it will reconnect and make it's usb-usual-windows sound while I game something, usually borderlands 3 once per play time.

Internet suggests that ASUS has these problems on some of the mobos but I can't seem to find a fix. Some people claim that installing armoury crate fixed it, some that a bios update fixed it. None of that seems to work for me.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Logitech MX518 mouse
Corsair VOID Pro USB-wired headphones

how old are these two? If the headset was giving D/C sounds in safe mode it could be a problem.
It might just be one of these too blame, just figuring out which is the fun bit. It could be one trips the other over and its fine.

PC shop not finding problem makes sense if problem is a USB device, no one ever thinks to give their peripherals to the store. I know I wouldn't.

I had a Mouse causing GPU drivers to turn off 2 years or so ago, it took 3 months and a clean install to figure out it wasn't PC. I had someone else test PC for a few days to confirm it wasn't hardware. It didn't crash for 3 days until I get PC back home, and it happens right away... the mouse was 9 years old, it had done its job.

I only figured out mine was the mouse when I replaced it and problem never happened again. I didn't know why replacing mouse fixed GPU problem until recently when someone mentioned USB runs through PCI now and it clicked.

I installed USBDeview to see if any other columns might help. You can drag the columns around by grabbing the header, might help to move VendorID number or Driver Filename column to the start near the device name column and take another screenshot. It only really helps in identifying whats been connected.

Can you try these two USB devices on another PC? See if you get same problems. Can you use alternatives to these to see if it happens still? i don't mean buy new ones but I can't think of where you would look in windows.

omgmajk

Commendable
Dec 8, 2020
how old are these two? If the headset was giving D/C sounds in safe mode it could be a problem.
It might just be one of these too blame, just figuring out which is the fun bit. It could be one trips the other over and its fine.
The mouse is ancient, I have had it since it was new on the market. The headphones are maybe six months old. Both of them work flawlessly in my backup computer that I used up until I got this one and during the time it was in the shop and also in my laptop.

I have ordered a Logitech G502 Hero wired mouse as a replacement, I will receive it dec 23. I got it cheap and I sort of wanted it anyways. Sadly I have no replacement mouse to test until then at home, only a mac mouse connected to my girlfriends workstation. I will also start using my old noname usb headset to check if that also disconnects.

Updated deview:
8naLCsO.png

What seems fishy to me is that I have two USB drives and one of them doesn't have a drive letter in deview for some reason? I don't think this is a problem, it just seems strange since windows finds it and it is connected with a drive letter.

Some things that are new since I updated BIOS is that I haven't heard the mouse disconnect at all since then, it hasn't made the windows "usb connect sound" - but I have noticed that the DPI changes, something I have to click manually to change every time I start my computer - which makes it seem that the mouse somehow loses connection still? I'm not sure. I will sit down and play Borderlands 3 this weekend to see what's new.

The headset will not make a windows disconnect sound either, it has it's own little chime when they reconnect and they seem to do it every time I stand up and walk away from the computer after using it/them to watch something on f.ex. youtube.

Edit: Right as I was standing up to leave the computer after typing this message, the headset made it's little chime and I can't seem to see any changes in USBDeview.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its likely the mouse is just old and the losing DPI settings is a clue you need to replace it. My mouse eventually stopped turning its lights off when I turned PC off. It was about then I started to think, maybe its my mouse. I replaced it with a mouse that almost looks the same as it but it 9 years newer. I could have got same mouse but i thought that as tempting fate. Old was Steelseries Sensei, New is SteelSeries rival 600.

It was only in hindsight that i remembered I heard the USB d/c sound when screen turned off first time, at the time the screen going off was not obviously linked to a USB problem, as why would I think it was. As I said, we threw everything at problem for a few months.

Having had 2 different peripherals cause weird things in win 10 (my speakers also died a year before and were causing win 10 to load with no desktop) I am now more open to problems being caused by external hardware. But the oldest one I have now is my speakers and they are 4 years old max.

The headset might not have a very long range and d/c from PC if you walk away? MY BT headset does similar but the distance is greater, I have to be outside and a few houses away before it d/c from my BT connection on my last PC. I haven't tested it on this one yet.

omgmajk

Commendable
Dec 8, 2020
Its likely the mouse is just old and the losing DPI settings is a clue you need to replace it.
I hope this is the case and that my new mouse will fix the issue. It's happened two times since my BIOS upgrade and both times is when I have been afk, which was not the case before when it would only disconnect when I was playing something for an extended period.

The headset might not have a very long range and d/c from PC if you walk away? MY BT headset does similar but the distance is greater, I have to be outside and a few houses away before it d/c from my BT connection on my last PC. I haven't tested it on this one yet.
No, they hang on the side of the computer and are bound by USB cable. I wasn't wearing them. They just seem to "reconnect" whenever I stand up to walk away. Like when I stop using the computer for half a minute. I'm not sure how to describe it. :unsure:

omgmajk

Commendable
Dec 8, 2020
Headset - do you bump them when you get up? sounds like a connection problem. Does it happen on any USB port? maybe the connector is dirty?
I do not bump them, they are off to the side, and I can't force it to happen by moving them around - which is beyond strange to me. It happens on atleast two ports, I recently switched port between my headset and the xbox dongle just to test.

Headset - do you bump them when you get up? sounds like a connection problem. Does it happen on any USB port? maybe the connector is dirty?

@johnbl how do you troubleshoot a USB connection? where do you look?
I have people run this tool.
USB Device Tree Viewer (uwe-sieber.de)
it is sometimes useful and works pretty well.

I look at minidumps can check the bios date, then check to see if they are running microsoft USB files or OEM usb files.
I also look at the usb extensions to see whos version they have installed.

it they provide a kernel memory dump I look at the internal usb logs and see if I can decode them.
sometimes the debugger just dumps hex, but with some they are of the correct format and I can read them.
I also try to look at the usb tree and human interface device tree.

some of the debug commands are
(to show the human interface devices)
!hidkd.hidtree
(to show the names of the internal logs)
!wdfkd.wdfcrashdump loader
then
!wdflogdump xusb22
(where xusb22 would be one of the log names from the internal logs)
you can also use
!wdfldr logname
to get info.

sometimes you see a lot of info, if the debugger understands the format of the data.
some of the logs only show a few pages of the data.
for usb you often see a entry number than can be of interest. the number generally starts with zero and goes up.
I think you see the last 60 or so entries. you can guess at the traffic by the entry number.

here is a list of some of the logs in one memory.dmp file on my machine:

Wdf01000 v1.31(0000)
acpiex v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58120df1d50
intelpep v1.15(0000) 0xffffb581217e7d00
WindowsTrustedRT v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58120ececf0
Telemetry v1.23(0000) 0xffffb58120de83b0
WindowsTrustedRTProxy v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58120ecd370
msisadrv v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58121f46d90
vdrvroot v1.15(0000) 0xffffb581217ed670
EhStorClass v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58121f64220
cdrom v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58120ecfa20
Vid v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58121e80060
CompositeBus v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58121e82520
umbus v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58121e74a60
HDAudBus v1.25(0000) 0xffffb58126ac6d90
Ucx01000 v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58126b3ca30
USBXHCI v1.23(0000) 0xffffb581271efd30
UcmCx0101 v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58126b3d010
UcmCxUcsiNvppc v1.13(0000) 0xffffb58126ba3930
MEIx64 v1.13(0000) 0xffffb58126bab010
ICCWDT v1.9(7600) 0xffffb58126bccd20
intelppm v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58126bca010
acpipagr v1.15(0000) 0xffffb581262ec390
NdisVirtualBus v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58126b96b30
USBHUB3 v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58126c67b60
monitor v1.15(0000) 0xffffb581268c5e00
MsLldp v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58129c9ddc0
MsQuic v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58126bc6010
PEAUTH v1.15(0000) 0xffffb58129d47dd0
WUDFRd v1.15(0000) 0xffffb5812a3c2df0

omgmajk

Commendable
Dec 8, 2020
After testing alot more during the x-mas weekend it would seem that both my old mouse and my new headphones are bad. Using my new mouse and an older pair of usb headphones has removed the problem. Or atleast it seems so. Will need to test some more to be entirely certain. I have ordered a new pair of Logitech G432 headphones for cheap so that I don't have to deal with these CM Storm ones since they have bad sound.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Problem with usb related things like this is you only know for sure after a long time, as if its random it can take ages for the right circumstances to set it off again. My mouse wasn't something that happened every week, it wasn't consistent. Some weeks it didn't happen at all and then bam and I would be like, sigh...

But gl as you at least worked out some of it :)

omgmajk

Commendable
Dec 8, 2020
Problem with usb related things like this is you only know for sure after a long time, as if its random it can take ages for the right circumstances to set it off again. My mouse wasn't something that happened every week, it wasn't consistent. Some weeks it didn't happen at all and then bam and I would be like, sigh...

But gl as you at least worked out some of it :)
Thanks, yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. But so far so good.

omgmajk

Commendable
Dec 8, 2020
So, after some time evaluating my situation. My mouse is now working fine, it seems. The new mouse has not yet disconnected and I've been at the computer alot more than I was before I wrote this post, mainly because of that.

The corsair headphones got put in my laptop and are now used for school work through zoom exclusively, they have yet to disconnect in that computer and are working pretty good there. I have no idea why they won't work in this one. I bought a new USB headset, Logitech G432 and put it into my main rig and I have two problems with them so far. They have disconnected atleast once, probably twice - one time when I was at the computer and in a discord call they just randomly disconnected and a windows notification came up and told me a usb device was not recognized, worked again after removing them and plugging them back in - and once when I was afk and came back to a pair of headphones that didn't have sound. Sound coming out of my speakers (default) instead.

The logitech g432 pair also has a problem where if I happen to touch the usb connection they sometimes will make bad noises and it won't get back to normal until I remove and plug back in. I suspect I got a pair of bad headphones this time but at the same time the corsair ones had the disconnection problem aswell and are working perfectly fine in another machine. I have no idea what is casusing this. Am I just unlucky or is this a software thing that might get solved with further probing?

omgmajk

Commendable
Dec 8, 2020
Confirmed, the Logitech G432 headset does disconnect every now and then. It just happened and I wasn't even using the computer at the time, I was just standing next to it. Last night while I was streaming it also had the bad noise in the microphone so I had to remove and plug them in again to fix it.

omgmajk

Commendable
Dec 8, 2020
So I bought a new headset, a Logitech G X Pro Wireless and put it in a back port. And what do you know, it also disconnects - twice during stream today. I'm at the end of the rope here, don't know what to do to fix this. I'm gonna update to the latest chipset and bios tomorrow and hope for the best.

omgmajk

Commendable
Dec 8, 2020
https://www.techspot.com/news/88695...nnectivity-issues-x570-b550-motherboards.html << this has only recently been announced so I bet it is what your problem is
Well, I found this yesterday like at the same time as I posted my reply: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kbr6zl/usb_issues_on_b550x570_motherboards/

And it seems to be the basis for that news article and I read through all of it. Most of the CPU's are 5000-series and alot of people with 3000-series are not experiencing any problems. I've basically given up but I have no option but to continue to find a solution.

I just updated BIOS today to the newest version and I'm hoping for the best.