USB root hub driver?

jr61

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hey,

I made a build a few months ago (first time)... When looking at the device manager I notice that under USB controllers one of the USB Root Hubs has an exclamation mark. Whenever I right click and say update driver it searches the net and says it already has the most updated version. Then I'll uninstall the driver, scan for new hardware and let it install a driver. This usually works and the exclamation point will go away, only to show up a few days later when I check again.

Is this happening because I failed to correctly install some drivers when I first made my computer? Do I just need to get the correct drivers? Or could there be something else happening?

Thanks.

jr61

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I'm guessing this has something to do with installing the chipset drivers? When I tried to install them the program started up, then went away. It never gave a confirmation that it was installed correctly so I wasn't sure what to do.

I downloaded the chipset drivers from asus's web-site. It came in a folder, but there are multiple programs in the folder and I am not sure which one to run so maybe that is the problem...

Thanks again in advance.

D

Deleted member 217926

Without knowing your motherboard or what drivers you downloaded it's pretty hard to help you.

jr61

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I should have included that. I have an Asus M5A97.

The Chipset driver I downloaded was:
AMD Chipset Driver V3.0.816.0 for Windows 32bit XP & 32bit Vista & 32bit 7.(WHQL)

I have windows 7 64 bit.

jr61

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

So this will then reinstall drivers for the devices after I restart?

D

Deleted member 217926

Try what Outlander suggested. It will probably fix your problem.

If you have not installed your chipset drivers you will want to do that. You should have a choice between the 32 and 64bit versions in the download folder. Since you have Windows 7 x64 you will want the 64bit drivers.

jr61

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I tried removing my USB devices and restarting but it didn't seem to work.

When I right click on the USB root hub and look at the properties it gives me this message:
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

I'm not sure if that helps or not.

So I have tried to install the windows 7 version but the program will open and then close...so I'm never sure if it worked.

Thanks again for the help!

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
use the asus link dowload and install the driver keep only keyboard and mouse connected then after the install connect all the other usb thing on the computer one at the time you got one that is not compatible with win 7 so you will have to find the driver for it