USB seems to freeze randomly (please help)

bobertthethird

Commendable
May 9, 2018
So I may need to upgrade sooner than I thought. The random freezes I thought I solved with a clean install are back. I'm starting to think it is only the USBs freezing up. The system responds to the restart button with no hesitance, and I know Netflix freezes when a USB headset is disconnected whether or not I'm having other problems. Meanwhile any other systems I'm using are hard to test the responsiveness of when both my USB keyboard and Mouse are unresponsive. The Back-lit keyboard and mouse stay lit when frozen, but they stop color cycling. There is one hijinky thing that happened with the drivers. I initially installed the drivers provided by the ASUS website, a 3rd party driver updater stated the drivers were out-of-date, I couldn't find the drivers manually from anything other than 3rd party sites and online forums generally agreed my drivers were out-of-date, so I let the driver updater perform the update (which I usually don't, turns out for good reason) One of the USB ports ended up being entirely disabled (but I didn't notice because I hadn't used my headset in a while) I then replaced that driver with the correct version of the driver (from ASUS, but in the support section of a slightly newer mobo Asus was still attempting to keep up to date, unlike mine) The first freeze occurred today, approximately 2 days after downloading the drivers from Asus, I'm thinking that may not be coincidental. I did just disable Windows power management, but given that the system had been stable for months prior to the driver hick-up, I'm not expecting that to fix the issue (as it didn't when this issue previously reared its head). Which either means one of two things, I've corrupted my drivers and may need to rollback to the older ones (despite the older ones specifically have this very issue reported on many forums) or that my Mobo is beginning to fail (it is at this point several years old)

This is my build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - FX-8350 4GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $199.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $124.38)
Motherboard: Asus - Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard (Purchased For $254.01)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $139.99)
Storage: Samsung - 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $116.97)
Storage: Western Digital - VelociRaptor 1TB 3.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $199.99)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card (Purchased For $649.99)
Case: Cooler Master - HAF X ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $179.99)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $139.99)
Optical Drive: LG - BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $99.99)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $0.00)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus - PCE-AC68 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter (Purchased For $97.99)
Case Fan: Cooler Master - Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan (Purchased For $16.99)
Keyboard: Razer - Ornata Chroma Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $88.99)
Mouse: Razer - DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $69.99)
Headphones: Logitech - G633 Artemis Spectrum 7.1 Channel Headset (Purchased For $95.99)
Other: VIZIO E-Series 42” Theater 3D™ LCD HDTV with VIZIO Internet Apps® (Purchased For $529.99)
Total: $3005.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-10 13:31 EDT-0400

bobertthethird

Commendable
May 9, 2018
Keyboard and Mouse entirely unresponsive as they themselves are USB devices, so I can't get to the device manager. I'll leave them running while I'm at work to see if the problem resurfaces and I can capture it in the act. Driver version is ASmedia 1.16.50.1 by the way. Also install date was 5/5 so apparently it has been 5 days since then. As far as I'm aware this affects both the rear IO panel and front panel, 2.0 and 3.0 slots, but I'll test when it occurs again.

TRENDING THREADS