USB Speed

Is there anyway to test the speed of the USB ports? I have received several
'older' motherboards and would like to find out the speed of the USB ports
on the motherboard.

Thank You,
Ralph

Ralph Adams wrote:
> Is there anyway to test the speed of the USB ports? I have received
> several 'older' motherboards and would like to find out the speed of
> the USB ports on the motherboard.

Look the motherboard up on a manufacturer web page, get the manual, check
the speeds. Or install Windows XP on them and see what is listed in device
manager..

--
<- Shenan ->

The key is in the word "older." Assume USB 1.1
You might need a strong light and a good magnifier to read
the mobo labels.

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
| Ralph Adams wrote:
| > Is there anyway to test the speed of the USB ports? I
have received
| > several 'older' motherboards and would like to find out
the speed of
| > the USB ports on the motherboard.
|
| Look the motherboard up on a manufacturer web page, get
the manual, check
| the speeds. Or install Windows XP on them and see what is
listed in device
| manager..
|
| --
| <- Shenan ->
| --
| The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you
research for
| yourself before you take any advice - you are the one
ultimately
| responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know
what you are

Jim Macklin wrote:
> The key is in the word "older." Assume USB 1.1
> You might need a strong light and a good magnifier to read
> the mobo labels.

Older means different things to different people throughout their lives.

In computer terms, something over a week old could be "older" technology
since now they have a replacement. In life, someone over 25 can be OLD to
someone under 16. I would natural assume USB 1.1 myself when someone said
older because that is the last technology before 2.0, but if there was a USB
3.0 already out for the past 6 months, would there not be people assuming
USB 2.0 to be the older on these unidentified "older" motherboards? heh

Trust but verify..

Likely USB 1.1, but if you install Windows XP onto one and in the Device
manager it says USB 2.0.. well, you have 2.0. If you check the motherboard
manufacturer page and that particular board only came with 2.0... well, you
have 2.0.

--
<- Shenan ->

Or even USB 1.0??

> The key is in the word "older." Assume USB 1.1
> You might need a strong light and a good magnifier to read
> the mobo labels.

> "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> | Ralph Adams wrote:
> | > Is there anyway to test the speed of the USB ports? I
> have received
> | > several 'older' motherboards and would like to find out
> the speed of
> | > the USB ports on the motherboard.
> |
> | Look the motherboard up on a manufacturer web page, get
> the manual, check
> | the speeds. Or install Windows XP on them and see what is
> listed in device
> | manager..
> |
> | --
> | <- Shenan ->
> | --
> | The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you
> research for
> | yourself before you take any advice - you are the one
> ultimately
> | responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know
> what you are
> | getting into before you jump in with both feet.

I think USB 1.0 was little used, USB 1.1 came along pretty
quickly and by the time USB was installed commonly on retail
computers USB 1,.1 was the standard.

| Or even USB 1.0??

in message
| > The key is in the word "older." Assume USB 1.1
| > You might need a strong light and a good magnifier to
read
| > the mobo labels.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in
message
| > have received
out
| > the speed of
| > |
| > | Look the motherboard up on a manufacturer web page,
get
| > the manual, check
| > | the speeds. Or install Windows XP on them and see
what is
| > listed in device
| > | manager..
| > |