xreatehd

Prominent
Mar 7, 2018
Hi. I have a 16GB USB-stick that I have photos and videos on. When I opened it up this morning, it only showed one file, which was just named "4". However, Windows still shows that I have 5,22GB left of that 16GB. I ran a CHKDSK in CMD but that gave me no errors, telling me there's about 800 files on it. I then plugged the USB in a TV, and it showed me a folder called "FOUND.000" but couldn't show me any files. When I try to find that folder on the USB-stick itself using my PC, it doesn't show up. I have every box in the view-tab clicked to make sure all hidden folders and files are viewable. I then had an idea, and added all of the files on there to a .zip file. That .zip file now has 2 folders, one is named "FOUND.000" (like the TV showed) and one is named "System Volume Information". When I open that first folder, it does show about 800 .CHK files. But when I try to extract that folder to my desktop, nothing shows up. I tried again, and Windows asked me whether I wanted to replace already existing files. But I can't see them anywhere! I tried to open my desktop in the Windows Explorer, and the folder doesn't show up there either.

I tried searching for a tutorial online, and came across a program called "deCHK". In every single video I found that worked perfectly, but when I try running it to check my USB-stick, it says there are no .CHK files registered in that drive.

I really want to save those photos and videos, they are worth a lot to me.

USAFRet

Titan
Those .chk "files" are the shattered remnants of the photos and videos that used to be on that USB.
Running chkdsk recovered some of the sectors, but not in any usable way.

This is when you toss that failed USB stick, and copy the data from your backup to replacement one.

xreatehd

Prominent
Mar 7, 2018
Those .chk "files" are the shattered remnants of the photos and videos that used to be on that USB.
Running chkdsk recovered some of the sectors, but not in any usable way.

This is when you toss that failed USB stick, and copy the data from your backup to replacement one.

Uuhh I only had the files on that USB-stick, I had no other backup... What then?

xreatehd

Prominent
Mar 7, 2018
If the above mentioned recovery tools fail...you're pretty much out of luck.
There is no magic for this.

Never ever have any data you care about on a single drive.
Especially a single USB stick.

Currently running EaseUS like remixislandmusic said, and that's doing wonders so far. It even put everything back into the original folders they were in. I'm hoping this will fix my issues haha

I'm surely gonna get a second USB drive and make a backup on that though