USB stick won't play in my car

argentina_72

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
I have a Sandisk 256 GB stick and it won' play in my car's radio. I formatted it to exFAT (no FAT 32 available) in my computer and it says "unplayable file". I have another Sandisk 16 GB and it plays on my car (FLAC and MP3"s) with no issues.

Solution

Being able to charge from the usb port and the radio being able to read the files are two different things really :(
It certainly is odd that it can still read the files on your phone but doesn't want to know when it comes to the USB sticks...and that the 16gb is suddenly unreadable... o_O
Not really sure what to suggest now, other than try reformatting the 16gb to how it was and just add a couple of tracks to it...
Did you have the files in folders on the usb's or just...on there if that makes sense?
Try without folders, and with...see if that makes any difference.

Jen_Sai

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
A 256gb usb is a very large capacity, it may simply be that your cars system just can't cope with that large a drive?
(Eg: my dash cam can only take max 32gb, my tablet 64gb...I've tested them and each is unable to read/use larger storage respectively)

I'd be very surprised if it will support a 256 Gig drive, and I think you'd stand a better chance with FAT32.. can't really find much info on the stereo, but I'd go with a cheap 8 or 16 gig stick formatted in FAT32 and try that. Some info here on formatting challenges: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/cant-format-flash-drive-to-fat32-in-windows-10/0d47d1ce-5f7d-41f9-a996-720cfedc4e16

Surprised you can play flac files, because it didn't show as being supported in the info I found: "13 The USB Audio Interface is used for direct connection to and control of some current digital audio players and other USB devices that contain MP3, WMA or AAC music files. Some USB devices with security software and digital rights-protected files may not work."
( http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8713-en )

argentina_72

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016

Well, I downloaded a software and I was able to format the 16 GB drive and I added some music using the drag and drop method and also sync with Windows Media Player, non of them worked, it says no song on the radio.

Jen_Sai

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016

Being able to charge from the usb port and the radio being able to read the files are two different things really :(
It certainly is odd that it can still read the files on your phone but doesn't want to know when it comes to the USB sticks...and that the 16gb is suddenly unreadable... o_O
Not really sure what to suggest now, other than try reformatting the 16gb to how it was and just add a couple of tracks to it...
Did you have the files in folders on the usb's or just...on there if that makes sense?
Try without folders, and with...see if that makes any difference.

Solution

rodsgardening

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017