USB Storage Device Problem - Help!

My daughter has a PQI (I think!) USB "Intelligent Stick" 64 mb Memory
device - basically an external pen memory - for school use. I cannot get
Windows XP to recognise this, despite downloading the driver from the PQI
site, and asking Windows to scan for it. In theory it should simply
recognise it as an external storage device in My Computer, but it does not.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Sandman

IF it doesn't appear in the 'install new hardware' then go to Control Panel,
Computer Management and drill down to Disc management and then activate it
thru there. You are right, it should appear easily, and without the driver
from the manufacturer. XP has all the drivers and stuff you should need. I
have several of those 'thumb drives' and they work fine without much hassle
with 'installation' or whatever; assume you have SP1 installed(?)..
"Mr Wiffy" <nospamthanks@spamfree.com> wrote in message
> My daughter has a PQI (I think!) USB "Intelligent Stick" 64 mb Memory
> device - basically an external pen memory - for school use. I cannot get
> Windows XP to recognise this, despite downloading the driver from the PQI
> site, and asking Windows to scan for it. In theory it should simply
> recognise it as an external storage device in My Computer, but it does
not.

> Any suggestions??
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ian

Sometimes you must go into Disk Management and assign a unique drive letter
to the USB disk. I've found that XP will occasionally assign a drive letter
that's already in use by another device.

"Mr Wiffy" <nospamthanks@spamfree.com> wrote in message
> My daughter has a PQI (I think!) USB "Intelligent Stick" 64 mb Memory
> device - basically an external pen memory - for school use. I cannot get
> Windows XP to recognise this, despite downloading the driver from the PQI
> site, and asking Windows to scan for it. In theory it should simply
> recognise it as an external storage device in My Computer, but it does
> not.
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ian

"Mr Wiffy" <nospamthanks@spamfree.com> wrote in message
> My daughter has a PQI (I think!) USB "Intelligent Stick" 64 mb Memory
> device - basically an external pen memory - for school use. I cannot get
> Windows XP to recognise this, despite downloading the driver from the PQI
> site, and asking Windows to scan for it. In theory it should simply
> recognise it as an external storage device in My Computer, but it does
> not.
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ian

I've found that some computers just won't recognize some brands of those
drives. If you're not getting the USB "boop-boop" sound when you plug it in,
and if the computer doesn't start giving some indication that it's seeing a
device being installed, then you might not be able to get it to work. You
shouldn't need any additional software.

You might try a different USB port, just to see if it makes any difference.

If it's not listed in Drive Management and you can't assign a drive letter,
you might want to save yourself the headache and just buy another brand.