Question USB suddenly stopped working on Windows

SiTheFlyGuy

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
Hi all,

I am looking for some help on a problem I am encountering with my Verbatim Store n Go USB.

Windows 7 and 10 doesn't seem to recognise my USB when I plug it into my laptops ports. I was only using it yesterday 26/03/19 without any problems. I also noticed that Windows didn't make that notification sound to signal that a device has been inserted. The usb also does not show up in Disk Management. I have tried various computers and none of them seem to be able to load the USB. As I said I was only using it yesterday without problems. Any of the computers I have tried doesn't alert me with any messages from Windows either. I have already tried a number of things such as:

• Inserting the USB into ports on different computers
  • Uninstalling the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" in Device manager and clicking scan for hardware changes
  • Changing the Power Management Settings for the USB Root within device manager
  • I tried changing the USB selective suspend settings but no luck

At the moment, The USB seems dead as I get know alerts from Windows, it doesn't show up in Disk Management or My Computer. Can anyone help please?

Usually that's how a USB flash dies, at one point it was working and suddenly they could stop working.
If you have not done yet, restart the computers and try again.
If the computer does not make the usual notification sound and and it is not listed in Disk Management then the USB is damage.
Check if the flash drive USB connector is loose. There are solder points connecting the USB connector to the board.
When these points brake, communication between the controller and the flash drive storage is lost.
That issue is more common when the USB flash drive is wiggled out the USB port instead of pulling straight out.
Some others just die because like us their time has arrived...I have several of those.

Reactions: SiTheFlyGuy

SiTheFlyGuy

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
Usually that's how a USB flash dies, at one point it was working and suddenly they could stop working.
If you have not done yet, restart the computers and try again.
If the computer does not make the usual notification sound and and it is not listed in Disk Management then the USB is damage.
Check if the flash drive USB connector is loose. There are solder points connecting the USB connector to the board.
When these points brake, communication between the controller and the flash drive storage is lost.
That issue is more common when the USB flash drive is wiggled out the USB port instead of pulling straight out.
Some others just die because like us their time has arrived...I have several of those.
Thanks for the reply. Is there anyway of recovering the data off it? I know of recovery software but I’d actually need the laptop to recognise the USB

Most of the times data can be retrieved, but depending on the type of damage a data recovery expert might be required and that could cost you.
The only way to find out what component went bad is by disassembling and testing the USB flash drive.

TRENDING THREADS