Apr 9, 2019
Hi Everyone

I hope you’re well and happy.

Does anyone have any experience with using two computer with one keyboard?

We are using a touchscreens connected to a pc works great but we also connect laptops to the screens to mirror the display via HDMI. The touchscreen function works on both devices when connecting directly.

From what i can tell the screens touchscreen function works the same a keyboard or a mouse

Is there any kind of USB switch (KVM) I could use which also automatically changes between the pc and laptop?

I cant use anykind of software.

Would it be possible to just buy a hub and connecting the screen to the main USB connection and hope the signal would it be sent to the pc/latop ?
All the best
S

D

Deleted member 14196

http://www.vetra.com/touchscreen_v.html

no cheap solutions, you need a special kvm that can support touch screens, and they are EXPENSIVE. for a 2 port it's $385

you need to connect the laptop to a multiport kvm, just like ANY pc, you can't use touchscreen over hdmi mirroring. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 9, 2019
That looks really good and also the price isnt to bad but i dont think it would be suitable for this build

the way i am connecting the PC and laptop at the moment is with hdmi like to the two separate sources on the screen and i need to switch USB cable from the pc to the laptop manually. They don’t need to work at the same time so they can fully independent from each other, is there not a way i can split the USB touchscreen cable coming from the screen?

Thanks
Shane

D

Deleted member 14196

Maybe if you posting pictures of what you’re doing or trying to do it would help. That being said I don’t think you can do what you’re trying to do anyway

D

Deleted member 14196

I honestly have no idea what you’re trying to do and your explanation doesn’t make much sense so hopefully somebody else can help you. In the real world you get a KVM switch and you plug both of your computers into it with one kb and mouse shared. Only one can work at a time on the KVM. This USB splitting makes absolutely no sense

Apr 9, 2019
I have a USB switch that I use at home to make it easier to work on other people's computers without having to switch my mouse and keyboard over to their machine. Not sure if this is what you are going for but in case it helps at all: IOGEAR USB 2.0 Switch

YES you’re spot on! I think something like this would work fairly good. Have you may be seen something that switches automatic or have some kind first come first served chip set

marek_shields

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
I haven't seen any that will automatically do it. This one just has a button you push to change inputs. It takes windows a little bit to handle the change (at least Windows 7 took a few seconds) but the wait time wasn't too bad.