AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Hello!
This is a very odd problem I'm facing after doing certain changes.

I somehow messed up something in port forwarding on my router page and now my phone can no longer accept usb tethering to my desktop..every time I turn it on, it goes off and says "USB tethering error" on phone. I have tried EVERYTHING..reset router to factory default, formatted my PC and phones..nothing worked. basically I went to port forwarding section, chosed a game as application name, set internal client to phone brand which is my phone and I pressed "add" it adds up a list of stuff and the thing I was testing didn't work so I simply removed the changes I made by removing them from the list but my tethering got affected..Please I need assistance because I ran out of ideas..Thanks!

Solution
What is the make and model of your router? You might want to walk us through how you did a factory reset of the router.

Might I also ask why you're tethering the phone to system when you can connect the router to the desktop/system/laptop either by wifi or by Ethernet?

It's GPON Home gateway
I logged in and went over to maintenance tab there is an option says "Factory default".

Modem is far away and currently only available way is tethering. Tho I just connected a wireless to my PC and I found out I cannot access any site except Google and YouTube..something is badly wrong with the internet after this Port forward problem. To add, connection became weirdly slow after that. [Solved]

EDIT: I'm currently on my 3rd...

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your router? You might want to walk us through how you did a factory reset of the router.

Might I also ask why you're tethering the phone to system when you can connect the router to the desktop/system/laptop either by wifi or by Ethernet?

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018

It's GPON Home gateway
I logged in and went over to maintenance tab there is an option says "Factory default".

Modem is far away and currently only available way is tethering. Tho I just connected a wireless to my PC and I found out I cannot access any site except Google and YouTube..something is badly wrong with the internet after this Port forward problem. To add, connection became weirdly slow after that. [Solved]

EDIT: I'm currently on my 3rd Computer which is connected directly via ethernet cable. can access all sites no issues, the problem only occurs on my 2 other computers which are both formatted today. apparently happening only on wireless connection for some reason. [Solved]

[Update]: On the Event Viewer, the error says:
the name "WINDOWS-10 :20" could not be registered on the interface with IP address xxx.xx.x.x The Computer with the IP address xxx.xx.x.x did not allow the name to be claimed by this computer.
the source is NetBT

Troubleshooting says: "Ethernet 4" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

[LAST UPDATE] Fixed by contacting Router support, they had to re-install the software on the router and it did the trick.

Last edited:
Solution