[SOLVED] Usb Tethering with lan connection to one pc

Aug 24, 2018
So my family is a bit paranoid about security and does not trust the internet for their Data. So I set up a local Network for the NAS and they use that for the movies,photos,etc with no Internet access to the home network.

Me being a Med Student I do not stay with my parents. But I would be going there this Summer To stay for a few months. Since there is no Internet in my house I have to resort to usb tethering for my laptop but I still want to watch The movies. so I am thinking of connecting both the lan cable and the tethering to the laptop.

My question now is would this work if tethering is used for Internet and Ethernet for NAS and media?

Solution
It should work but it will depend to a point on the tethering software.

You can have multiple networks on a pc but you can only have a single default gateway. Your question is simpler than the people that want to use 2 different internet connections with different programs using each.

All you need to do is set a static ip on the ethernet port with the proper subnet. Leave the DNS and gateway fields blank. If the tethered and router use the same ip range you are going to have to change stuff so they are different.

If you were to do a route print command you should see both networks with the 0.0.0.0 route (default gateway) going to the tethered connections.

If this is a actual tethered connection to a phone it should work...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not sure you can make that happen. Perhaps it will work because of the USB aspect of the tethering. I would think that like a wired connection that your adapter would be in use with the USB and not available for the Ethernet (network) connection.

Be interested to hear others input on this.

Aug 24, 2018

Yup that's the thing I am worried about cause on usb tethering, win 10 shows it as Ethernet connection. So what will it show when a 'real' internet less Ethernet is also connected to it?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
With my laptop when I connect the Ethernet cable it will automatically disconnect the 'wireless'.
Thoughts would be, for ease just connect to the NAS when you need something from it and only use the tethering when you need to be online. If you have a situation where you "need" both just cache info to your local drive while online and then move to the NAS when you disconnect...if it even poses a problem.

It should work but it will depend to a point on the tethering software.

You can have multiple networks on a pc but you can only have a single default gateway. Your question is simpler than the people that want to use 2 different internet connections with different programs using each.

All you need to do is set a static ip on the ethernet port with the proper subnet. Leave the DNS and gateway fields blank. If the tethered and router use the same ip range you are going to have to change stuff so they are different.

If you were to do a route print command you should see both networks with the 0.0.0.0 route (default gateway) going to the tethered connections.

If this is a actual tethered connection to a phone it should work, connections to USB modems can be more problematic.

Solution