USB thumb drive

Paul

Splendid

Suddenly, my usb thumb drive is not working on 1 system. I hear the sound
when plugged in and can see the icon in the task bar to 'safely remove' it.
Rebooting hasn't worked either.
I removed the driver and then inserted the drive and did get the 'installing
new hardware' and it did install the hardware but I have no drive to view
the file....checked network folders, my computer, explorer, whatever, I
can't find the drive on the system.
I know if works since I've tried it on 3 other systems. All running the
same OS, XP Pro.
Thanks for any advise.

Paul

Does this USB drive show up in Disk Management??

"Paul" <paul@jackpetty.com> wrote in message
> Suddenly, my usb thumb drive is not working on 1 system. I hear the sound
> when plugged in and can see the icon in the task bar to 'safely remove'
> it. Rebooting hasn't worked either.
> I removed the driver and then inserted the drive and did get the
> 'installing new hardware' and it did install the hardware but I have no
> drive to view the file....checked network folders, my computer, explorer,
> whatever, I can't find the drive on the system.
> I know if works since I've tried it on 3 other systems. All running the
> same OS, XP Pro.
> Thanks for any advise.
>
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

Yves, thanks for the post....no, it doesn't show up anywhere, even in Disk
Management. But, it still makes a sound so XP does know something is
happening????

Paul

> Does this USB drive show up in Disk Management??
>

> "Paul" <paul@jackpetty.com> wrote in message
>> Suddenly, my usb thumb drive is not working on 1 system. I hear the
>> sound when plugged in and can see the icon in the task bar to 'safely
>> remove' it. Rebooting hasn't worked either.
>> I removed the driver and then inserted the drive and did get the
>> 'installing new hardware' and it did install the hardware but I have no
>> drive to view the file....checked network folders, my computer, explorer,
>> whatever, I can't find the drive on the system.
>> I know if works since I've tried it on 3 other systems. All running the
>> same OS, XP Pro.
>> Thanks for any advise.
>>
>> Paul

You do not need any drivers to use a USB thumb drive in XP, so uninstall any
drivers you may have installed. Now check whether the thumb drive has
affinity for a particular drive letter. Check the drive letter the thumb
drive is claiming on different systems. Now check whether this drive letter
has been already taken by another device on the affected computer. This may
be a CD, DVD drive or network resource. You may need to change drive letter
assignments.

Also confirm whether the thumb drive is properly detected and installed in
Device Manager and Disk Management.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager

Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc

"Paul" <paul@jackpetty.com> wrote in message
> Suddenly, my usb thumb drive is not working on 1 system. I hear the sound
> when plugged in and can see the icon in the task bar to 'safely remove'
> it. Rebooting hasn't worked either.
> I removed the driver and then inserted the drive and did get the
> 'installing new hardware' and it did install the hardware but I have no
> drive to view the file....checked network folders, my computer, explorer,
> whatever, I can't find the drive on the system.
> I know if works since I've tried it on 3 other systems. All running the
> same OS, XP Pro.
> Thanks for any advise.
>
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

I did not fully explain...I know that the thumb drive does not need drivers
for XP but I removed the device by 'safely removing hardware'...sorry for
the confusion.
Your suggestion that it might want to use a letter already in use worked.
It wanted F which was a mapped network drive.
Funny that it does use different letters on different systems. F on 1, G on
another and J on a third.
Anyway, thanks all for the help and guidance.

Paul

"Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message

> You do not need any drivers to use a USB thumb drive in XP, so uninstall
> any drivers you may have installed. Now check whether the thumb drive has
> affinity for a particular drive letter. Check the drive letter the thumb
> drive is claiming on different systems. Now check whether this drive
> letter has been already taken by another device on the affected computer.
> This may be a CD, DVD drive or network resource. You may need to change
> drive letter assignments.
>
> Also confirm whether the thumb drive is properly detected and installed in
> Device Manager and Disk Management.
>
> Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager
>
> Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc
>
> "Paul" <paul@jackpetty.com> wrote in message
>> Suddenly, my usb thumb drive is not working on 1 system. I hear the
>> sound when plugged in and can see the icon in the task bar to 'safely
>> remove' it. Rebooting hasn't worked either.
>> I removed the driver and then inserted the drive and did get the
>> 'installing new hardware' and it did install the hardware but I have no
>> drive to view the file....checked network folders, my computer, explorer,
>> whatever, I can't find the drive on the system.
>> I know if works since I've tried it on 3 other systems. All running the
>> same OS, XP Pro.
>> Thanks for any advise.
>>
>> Paul

Paul, you are welcome :) I am glad my suggestion helped.