USB to Ethernet work via usb connecting to wall port

Nov 1, 2018
My room is on the other side of my house from the modem and I can't run an Ethernet Cable through the walls or in the hallways. I was wondering if I got a USB to Ethernet cable and plugged the usb in the wall using a wall charger would I be able to get internet connection and if I am how good would it be?

Ralston18

Titan
No.

And you may be confusing options. You can use and connect ethernet to a a computer via a USB adapter plugged into the computer.

You cannot transmit Ethernet via UBS charger/adapters plugged into the wall.

What you may be referring to are powerline adapters. One would be plugged into a wall outet near your router and connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.

A second powerline adapter would be plugged into a wall outlet in your room and likewise connected with an Ethernet cable to your computer.

How good the performance would be is difficult to predict. If the outlets are on different electrical circuits the connectivity is likely to suffer.

Nov 1, 2018

I was talking about using the ethernet adapter I just didn't know if it would work and I don't want a range extender that's what I have right now but it doesn't work well for some reason and only and around 2 MBps download speed and around 40 MBps connected directly to the modem and would you know of any way to connect a router without using a WAN cable or connecting a ethernet cable directly to the modem

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model modem do you have? What make and model router do you have?

Or if a combined unit (modem/router): what make and model?

And how is the range extender setup?

E.g.:

ISP --->Modem -----> [WAN] Router [LAN] -------> [LAN] Access Point/Range Extender [LAN] ------> PC or ~~~~> wireless to PC

Make and model Range Extender? What distances in between, how many walls, other wireless devices?

With performance being that low there is a good chance that there is some misconfiguration involved.

Feel free to correct/update my line diagram as necessary. Someone may spot something that I am missing.