[SOLVED] USB to RGB cooler adapter?

Sep 9, 2020
So I'm probably going to build my 2nd PC soon, and I'm on a budget. Because of this I have to use a budget potato motherboard, that doesn't have an RGB header. I was wondering if there is a way to get around that for the RGB Liquid cooling using a USB 2 and/or USB 1 and/or SYS fan and/or SATA power for it to light up? The Liquid cooler is a MASTERLIQUID ML120L RGB. Anyone who has this please explain the setup of the controller. Thank you for reading.

Solution
Well, unless it is something silly like an old FX 9000 chip (DO NOT use that with a budget board, it will fail), a cheap Hyper 212 is pretty universal, (double check max CPU cooler height of the chassis). There is even an RGB version now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hH...ck-edition-573-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-212s-20pc-r1

Basically any chip with a TDP of 125W or less is covered. Even an old LGA1366 chip at 135W should be okay (and there is a lot you can do to core voltage to fix that)

Still, basic RGB with the MASTERLIQUID ML120L RGB is covered if you want to go down that route.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you are on a budget, skip RGB? And water coolers? One of the most non-performance expense options you can aim for is RGB. and most budget CPUs don't need water cooling for any particular reason.

Far as I can tell, that cooler includes a method for controlling the RGB directly through several pre-set modes.

There are certainly RGB/Fan controllers out there with will plug into a motherboard's USB ports for software control. Though they are going to be as expensive or more than just getting a nicer motherboard.

I would say do your build and worry about the RGB later when you have the money.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, unless it is something silly like an old FX 9000 chip (DO NOT use that with a budget board, it will fail), a cheap Hyper 212 is pretty universal, (double check max CPU cooler height of the chassis). There is even an RGB version now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hH...ck-edition-573-cfm-cpu-cooler-rr-212s-20pc-r1

Basically any chip with a TDP of 125W or less is covered. Even an old LGA1366 chip at 135W should be okay (and there is a lot you can do to core voltage to fix that)

Still, basic RGB with the MASTERLIQUID ML120L RGB is covered if you want to go down that route.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS