[SOLVED] USB to Sata Adapter Cable

Solution
It depends on the adapter in specific. Some of those will, some won't.

3.5in hard drives require more power than a typical USB port will provide, so cheap adapters that use USB solely to power the drive probably will not work.

You need to get a powered adapter, one with an extra power brick. A powered enclosure is your best bet, and I would reccomend this one in particular.
I have had a good experience with all of the Sabrent products I have used, and that one one is powered

ErickParker

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Surely, you've seen on Amazon that there are positive and negative reviews. Considering the value, it's hard to say what transfer speed this controller and cables will achieve. I would prefer a better quality docking station.

It depends on the adapter in specific. Some of those will, some won't.

3.5in hard drives require more power than a typical USB port will provide, so cheap adapters that use USB solely to power the drive probably will not work.

You need to get a powered adapter, one with an extra power brick. A powered enclosure is your best bet, and I would reccomend this one in particular.
I have had a good experience with all of the Sabrent products I have used, and that one one is powered

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Do this things work to power a 3.5" HDD and use it as an external drive?
I would not use that for any actual "external drive" thing.

At most, a temporary connection to test a random drive, or to retrieve some data.
NOT as used as an "external drive".

Further, a 3.5" drive requires wall power.
12v and 5v.
A USB port can only supply the 5v. The 12v must come from a wall adapter.

Jan 10, 2022
I would not use that for any actual "external drive" thing.

At most, a temporary connection to test a random drive, or to retrieve some data.
NOT as used as an "external drive".

Further, a 3.5" drive requires wall power.
12v and 5v.
A USB port can only supply the 5v. The 12v must come from a wall adapter.
it has a wall adapter, so 5v from usb and 12v from wall

Jan 10, 2022
OK, so it will power up and allow access to a 3.5" HDD.
Great.

The question then is....you'll have a bare HDD sitting on your desk.
Just waiting to be knocked off on to the floor.

Will it work?
Yeah, probably.
It is not a long term solution for this drive.
meaby I'll go for an enclosure then, thank you

An enclosure is barely any more money and is a more permanent solution.

A 3.5in HDD within an enclosure is not really any different than a proper external hard drive.

The Sabrent comes with a download of acronis which can be used to clone drives and transfer data if needed.