USB to serial: one more problem

I have an IBM Thinkpad running XP 5.10.2600 SP1.
I have just got a new cellular phone (Nokia 6610i) with a serial-to-USB
cable to manage the phone from the PC. It works fine when using the Nokia
PCsuite, which handshakes with the phone thru the port

Device class: Ports
Device description: Nokia CA-42 USB (COM2)
Driver provider: Nokia
Driver date: 1-10-2005
Driver version: 5.2.14.3
Device status: Enabled
No resources used

(it was originally on COM7, but I changed it after reading a thread in this
newsgroup).

The problem is when I try to use the phone as a modem: Nokia tells me that I
have to install the modem driver over the cable, but XP does not allow me to
select the correct port; it just lists COM1 (which btw is on Intel(R)
82801DBM LPC Interface Controller - 24CC ).

Any clue how to fix the issue?

Thanks in advance

Mario

bar

And what does Nokia suggest to use for its product.

Do they not provide support for setup and installation?

"Mario G." wrote:

> I have an IBM Thinkpad running XP 5.10.2600 SP1.
> I have just got a new cellular phone (Nokia 6610i) with a serial-to-USB
> cable to manage the phone from the PC. It works fine when using the Nokia
> PCsuite, which handshakes with the phone thru the port
>
> Device class: Ports
> Device description: Nokia CA-42 USB (COM2)
> Driver provider: Nokia
> Driver date: 1-10-2005
> Driver version: 5.2.14.3
> Device status: Enabled
> No resources used
>
> (it was originally on COM7, but I changed it after reading a thread in this
> newsgroup).
>
> The problem is when I try to use the phone as a modem: Nokia tells me that I
> have to install the modem driver over the cable, but XP does not allow me to
> select the correct port; it just lists COM1 (which btw is on Intel(R)
> 82801DBM LPC Interface Controller - 24CC ).
>
> Any clue how to fix the issue?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Mario

Nokia makes no suggestion (besides recommending to install the cable drivers
before installing the PCsuite - what I did); they provide just the user's
guide, which I followed step by step.

If they were providing valuable support, I would not be posting a request
for help...

Mario