[SOLVED] USB tongle 2-20mbps out of about 55mbps

kaarelkostabi

Commendable
Jun 1, 2018
What do i need to do that my wifi dongle gets the max speed ? I know it's in the settings. I've done it before and i'm not gonna spend a day trying to figure it out again. Its a desktop. I've tried all the usb ports and done the ?dnsflush? or how to you call it, in the CMD, but it's still the same. It's not the dongle itself. Worked in a laptop on the first connect. I've installed drivers from their site. Updated via windows. Reinstalled drivers. Still nothing.

Solution
It's that smallest usb wifi dongle. Maybe this one. I don't have it here. It's not the same PC or the same wifi dongle that already had the same problem. And it works in a laptop with every other network card etc disabled and it is using the same dongle. It's not the antennas or anything like that. It's the network settings in the PC or it might be the router's settings but it is working in the laptop so i guess i changed something in the pc settings last time.
If what you have is what you linked, then those are junk. There is just no room for a decent antenna.
If you believe (which I am skeptical) it is the router, then do a factory reset on it and set just the admin password, the SSIDs and passwords and any ISP...

kanewolf

Titan
What do i need to do that my wifi dongle gets the max speed ? I know it's in the settings. I've done it before and i'm not gonna spend a day trying to figure it out again. Its a desktop. I've tried all the usb ports and done the ?dnsflush? or how to you call it, in the CMD, but it's still the same. It's not the dongle itself. Worked in a laptop on the first connect. I've installed drivers from their site. Updated via windows. Reinstalled drivers. Still nothing.
Lets start with the model of the USB adapter? Is it a "nano" ? If so, it is probably the lack of antennas that hurts your performance.

kaarelkostabi

Commendable
Jun 1, 2018
It's that smallest usb wifi dongle. Maybe this one. I don't have it here. It's not the same PC or the same wifi dongle that already had the same problem. And it works in a laptop with every other network card etc disabled and it is using the same dongle. It's not the antennas or anything like that. It's the network settings in the PC or it might be the router's settings but it is working in the laptop so i guess i changed something in the pc settings last time.

kanewolf

Titan
If what you have is what you linked, then those are junk. There is just no room for a decent antenna.
If you believe (which I am skeptical) it is the router, then do a factory reset on it and set just the admin password, the SSIDs and passwords and any ISP related info.
If you believe it is Windows, then try safe mode with networking or boot a portable Linux off a USB stick.

Solution
There is not much you can set on the pc side to affect the speed. In general the only things you can set will make the connection worse. This device will only connect on 2.4g and you don't want to force it to connect using the older encoding like 802.11g.

You see the speed it connects to the router with in one of the status pages for the nic. This is not a actual speed though it is more the data encoding method it is using.

The nic and the router negotitate the best possible options they think will work. You need to make sure you have the latest drivers for your nic but that is going to be the best you can really do with any software.

Those tiny wifi nic cards are designed for portable devices. They fit almost completely inside the machine. On a laptop this is less a issue since it is made mostly of plastic. A desktop is made mostly of metal and you are putting your antennas almost inside a metal box. Those tiny devices also have low power radio to save battery power which affects its performance even though a desktop does not use batteries.

Try a USB extension cable and see if you get better signals.

I wrote all this and come back to find I never did post :)