[SOLVED] USB Type-E splitter?

Mar 30, 2022
I am building a new system with the Corsair Obsidian 1000D case and the Asus Maximus Z690 Extreme Glacial motherboard. The case has a number of USB ports on the front panel - four USB 3.0 Type-A ports that connect to the motherboard via two 19-pin connectors, and two USB 3.1 Type-C ports that connect to the motherboard via two USB Type-E connectors. The motherboard has two ports to accommodate both USB 3.0 connectors from the front panel, only it has one Type-E port. I have been looking everywhere for a Type-E splitter that will allow me to connect both Type-E connectors from the front panel to the motherboard, but I can't find one anywhere. Does anyone know if such a thing even exists?

Solution
In the absence of any kind of splitter cable, it seems like this is not only the best option, but the only option... ha.
Best option is not to obsess about some non-functional USB ports.
Put a cover on it and forget about it.

41x98CWzyTS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ralston18

Titan
"Type-E"?

When I first read your post question I thought "typo".

Some googling quickly proved me wrong there.

FYI:

https://superuser.com/questions/1474148/usb-3-0-type-e-where-it-connects

https://www.quora.com/Does-USB-Type-E-AKA-Key-A-support-USB-PD

Further searches for splitters and applicable USB adapters found some products but none seemed applicable or appropriate.

Who knows what the actual pin outs might be? Any given splitter or adapter may be "Type-E" only in that the plug physically fits the port.

Mismatched pin connections likely to simply not work but could be worse.....

Is there a specific requirement for using the USB Type-E ports on the case? If not then I recommend to just not connect/use them.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

There may be other ideas and suggestions.

Mar 30, 2022
Is there a specific requirement for using the USB Type-E ports on the case? If not then I recommend to just not connect/use them.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. No, there's no requirement to use them. I just hate having five functional USB ports on my front panel and one that doesn't work just because there's no place on the motherboard to connect it. 🙂

Mar 30, 2022
You could get PCIe expansion card like this one to connect the last USB C port on the case.

Ah... I don't think I saw that in my search. Under normal circumstances, that would be perfect. My motherboard specs recommend using the first PCIe x16 slot when using a single graphics card, though, and I'm mounting my card vertically. With it mounted vertically, there's no way to install that expansion card in the second PCIe x16 slot... :(

Ah... I don't think I saw that in my search. Under normal circumstances, that would be perfect. My motherboard specs recommend using the first PCIe x16 slot when using a single graphics card, though, and I'm mounting my card vertically. With it mounted vertically, there's no way to install that expansion card in the second PCIe x16 slot... :(
The beauty of GPUs reaching size of a brick, eh :) How about PCI card plus PCIe riser then?