usb: Unknown Device

I have just bought an external HDD and a digital wallet for photos. When
I connect to USB 2 they both show as "Unknown Device", on USB 1 the
digital wallet works but the External HDD still shows as "Unknown
Device" I fitted the USB 2 card about a month ago but haven't used it,
in the Device Manager everything shows as working properly. Can anyone
help me with this problem?

Thanks
Alan

hh

Uh, it would help to know what Compaq PC you are referring to and the
operating system installed.
HH

"Alan Kerr" <AL.KERR@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>I have just bought an external HDD and a digital wallet for photos. When I
>connect to USB 2 they both show as "Unknown Device", on USB 1 the digital
>wallet works but the External HDD still shows as "Unknown Device" I fitted
>the USB 2 card about a month ago but haven't used it, in the Device Manager
>everything shows as working properly. Can anyone help me with this problem?
>
> Thanks
> Alan

Sorry, it is a w4000 and I have XP Pro installed. I imstalled a ALi card.

Alan