USB vs SATA II transfer rate

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhobbs

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Anyway back to the subject, also there is in certain DELL bios's at least a BIOS setting for NORMAL/COMBINATION MODE on your SATA drive, the factory will probably have set it to COMBINATION for safety reasons, it allows the compatibility with older drives, if you really are that peeved then you could try changing that, but what the possible side effects may be I really couldn't tell you.

I personally have not had the spare drives to do trial and error on that yet... no doubt as SATA seems to be the way the industry is going... lets be honest, probably as always we will be dragged down the wrong route for CASH and then have to tread water for awhile before going back and starting all over... (honestly I wonder wether performance is actually the driving force so much as wallet size... )

Anyway, that might be the problem also, if you have a drive jumping through hoops so to speak because of some old compatibnility protocols when it doesn't require them then it may be hindering its performance.

sdhobbs

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Sorry, lost track, mean't to say, as that's the way the band s marching then no doubt I will accumultate the odd undamaged SATA drive here and there and find this out the only way I can by trial and error!

sdhobbs

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Plenty of expletives there.. nicely taboo'd out... "EFF YOU SEE KAY EYE EN GEE" KEYBOARD IS DOING MY "EFF YOU SEE KAY EYE EN GEE" HEAD IN! Anyway see ya all later... maybe that USB pico controller is actually a self learning sh*t head chip that is now messing with my keystrokes to wind me up some more... as I am sure many will appreciate and many others experienced, some days I swear this whole machine has a death wish and a desire to be introduced to the largest sledge-hammer that money can buy, nay possibly even a car crusher... as if its not bad enough sitting here with a bad back (well Ihave now... oh that's why its always broken and disjointed btw.. just because I have to keep getting up), anyway as the song says "Just walk away, walk away,walk away----".

Status
Not open for further replies.