[SOLVED] USB Wi-Fi Card Error

Dec 1, 2020
Hello, I bought a USB Wi-Fi adapter, I successfully installed the driver with the CD that came out, but my connection is constantly disconnected, every 5 minutes.
I am close to the modem, the distance is not much, I plugged it into different USB ports, it is not resolved. Red cross appears on the Wi-Fi icon, do you think how can I solve it?

I tried the adapter on a different modem on a different computer, there was no problem friends, the device I tried was Windows 10 + USB 3.0 port.

My device is Windows7 + USB 2.0 port

Realtek RTL8188FTV.

Solution
This is the product I bought. brand GOMAX

Never heard of them and frankly, I would not have installed 'drivers' shipping with such an offbrand device.

If you could source a Realtek driver directly, opposed to whatever 5+ year old driver was on that CD, you might have a better chance. Not 100% sure on the driver situation in Windows 7, but 10 likely would've picked up something better for you than what was on the CD. Ultimately though, I'd have to say this was a poor purchase.

Seconded the extension cord, it's worth a shot.

If you don't have an extension though, I wouldn't run out and buy one. For the couple of currency an extension would cost, there's probably a better Wifi adapter available!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Which device did you buy, specifically? You've only listed the chip used.

The driver CDs are usually garbage & extremely outdated. Some manufacturer's will provide an updated driver on their website, but lower-end or "no-name" devices typically do not.

For what it's worth, that chip is quite old: 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4GHz only.
Can you return it, by chance? There's almost certainly a better option for similar money.

Dec 1, 2020
Which device did you buy, specifically? You've only listed the chip used.

The driver CDs are usually garbage & extremely outdated. Some manufacturer's will provide an updated driver on their website, but lower-end or "no-name" devices typically do not.

For what it's worth, that chip is quite old: 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4GHz only.
Can you return it, by chance? There's almost certainly a better option for similar money.
[/ALINTI]

9665152385074.jpg

Dec 1, 2020
Ensure that no other network adapters, wired or wireless, are enabled.

Go to the manufacturer's website and look for updated Windows 7 drivers - if any.

Manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure - no third party driver installers.

other networks are completely disabled only usb wifi is active.

Ralston18

Titan
Noted (per @Barty1884 ) that that USB adapter is quite old.

Those small adapters will, overtime, go through multiple cycles of on/off, transmit/receive, heat up/cool down, expand/contract.

All of which leads the adapter to some designed EOL (End of Life) that may or may not be preceded by problems.

Try using a USB extension cable to extend the USB wireless network adapter up and away from the host computer.

Likely to be in cooler air and perhaps also help ease transmitting and receiving.

May work completely or at least provide a few more minutes of connection time.

If not, will second the purchase of a new USB wireless network adapter.

Dec 1, 2020
Noted (per @Barty1884 ) that that USB adapter is quite old.

Those small adapters will, overtime, go through multiple cycles of on/off, transmit/receive, heat up/cool down, expand/contract.

All of which leads the adapter to some designed EOL (End of Life) that may or may not be preceded by problems.

Try using a USB extension cable to extend the USB wireless network adapter up and away from the host computer.

Likely to be in cooler air and perhaps also help ease transmitting and receiving.

May work completely or at least provide a few more minutes of connection time.

If not, will second the purchase of a new USB wireless network adapter.

I guess there is no solution in the current adapter :(

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Never heard of them and frankly, I would not have installed 'drivers' shipping with such an offbrand device.

If you could source a Realtek driver directly, opposed to whatever 5+ year old driver was on that CD, you might have a better chance. Not 100% sure on the driver situation in Windows 7, but 10 likely would've picked up something better for you than what was on the CD. Ultimately though, I'd have to say this was a poor purchase.

Seconded the extension cord, it's worth a shot.

If you don't have an extension though, I wouldn't run out and buy one. For the couple of currency an extension would cost, there's probably a better Wifi adapter available!

Solution