[SOLVED] USB WiFi adapter giving different speeds / causing problems

Oct 26, 2019
So my modem/router is downstairs, and in order to get internet I use a USB WiFi adapter. My issue is when I plug the adapter into the front of my PC I get way faster speeds as to when I plug it into the back of my PC. However when the adapter is plugged into the front of my PC I get really bad lag spikes when playing online games, and I don't get any lag spikes when it's plugged into the back of my PC. Both ports are USB 3.0 Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Plugged into the front I get about 80 down and 20 up, and in the back I get 15 down and 6-7 up.

Solution
Can you delete the 2 duplicates of the questions?

You can test this with a USB cable but I doubt it is the ports. It is likely the case is blocking the signal so you get lower rates in the back. Without getting too detailed when you have a slower speed generally the router and pc have negotiated a simpler data encoding method. Because it is simpler it gets less errors but is slower.

Games in general do not care about speed/bandwidth they care about consistent latency. If you are getting packet loss or data retransmissions it will cause lag in online games.

Not sure what to suggest in this case. Normally more signal is better but games really hate wifi of any kind so it is a different type of problem.
Can you delete the 2 duplicates of the questions?

You can test this with a USB cable but I doubt it is the ports. It is likely the case is blocking the signal so you get lower rates in the back. Without getting too detailed when you have a slower speed generally the router and pc have negotiated a simpler data encoding method. Because it is simpler it gets less errors but is slower.

Games in general do not care about speed/bandwidth they care about consistent latency. If you are getting packet loss or data retransmissions it will cause lag in online games.

Not sure what to suggest in this case. Normally more signal is better but games really hate wifi of any kind so it is a different type of problem.

Solution