Question USB Wifi Adapter Lost Connection on Windows10

Jun 17, 2019
So I have a problem with my ASUS USB-N10 Nano Adapter. Its always losing connection like every 5 minutes. If I wait 1-2 minutes or run a troubleshoot or unattach it and then attach again the connection is fine again. On my phone the Wifi is good so the problem has to be with the adapter or windows. Also when I installed Win10 the connection was perfect but when the Win10 updated itself (because it was an older version 2016 or something) the problem came out. On an other PC same thing happens.

Sorry for my bad English and thank your for your helps.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Make sure it's not plugged into any pass through ports.
These ports include ones you find on your keyboard or your monitor that pass through to the PC.

If using front panel ports, try using rear ports directly on the motherboard instead.

Could just be that the drivers were messed up by Windows update.

Try uninstalling them completely through device manager, then restart and reinstall the downloaded drivers.

Make sure your Windows power plan settings are set to high performance.

Outside of all of this, you could always backup important data, and create a brand new Windows installation USB using the Media Creation Tool and doing a wipe and clean install of the OS.
Or could be that the USB adapter itself is just not good.

Jun 17, 2019
Make sure it's not plugged into any pass through ports.
These ports include ones you find on your keyboard or your monitor that pass through to the PC.

If using front panel ports, try using rear ports directly on the motherboard instead.

Could just be that the drivers were messed up by Windows update.

Try uninstalling them completely through device manager, then restart and reinstall the downloaded drivers.

Make sure your Windows power plan settings are set to high performance.

Outside of all of this, you could always backup important data, and create a brand new Windows installation USB using the Media Creation Tool and doing a wipe and clean install of the OS.
Or could be that the USB adapter itself is just not good.

I tried these things too. :/ What if the Wifi is the bad guy? Because sometimes my phone losing connection too but not the same time as the PC with the adapter and only for a few seconds.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Hmm... I see.
well you said it has the same issues on another PC when you plug it in right?
Assuming the other PC is also running this latest update for Windows, then it could be a Windows issue.
If the other PC is running an older build of Windows 10, then it could just be the adapter.

To truly see if it's Windows, I would suggest you create a live linux USB, and then run it and see if you have the same issues using the adapter on Linux.

If so, then it's the adapter.
If you have no issues, then it's definitely Windows and there are ways to try and troubleshoot the issue that we can explore once we've figured this out.

If you don't know how to create a live Linux USB, then simply download an ISO of linux.
Something lightweight will do like Lubuntu.

Then use the program called Rufus to make the flash drive bootable with that ISO.

Then turn off your system and make sure the USB stick is plugged in, then turn the system on and press whatever key your boot screen tells you to in order to enter startup selection mode where you can manually choose to boot from the USB.

Then load into the linux distro and choose not to install but instead to run live then test the WiFi.

Reactions: precike123
Jun 17, 2019
Hmm... I see.
well you said it has the same issues on another PC when you plug it in right?
Assuming the other PC is also running this latest update for Windows, then it could be a Windows issue.
If the other PC is running an older build of Windows 10, then it could just be the adapter.

To truly see if it's Windows, I would suggest you create a live linux USB, and then run it and see if you have the same issues using the adapter on Linux.

If so, then it's the adapter.
If you have no issues, then it's definitely Windows and there are ways to try and troubleshoot the issue that we can explore once we've figured this out.

If you don't know how to create a live Linux USB, then simply download an ISO of linux.
Something lightweight will do like Lubuntu.

Then use the program called Rufus to make the flash drive bootable with that ISO.

Then turn off your system and make sure the USB stick is plugged in, then turn the system on and press whatever key your boot screen tells you to in order to enter startup selection mode where you can manually choose to boot from the USB.

Then load into the linux distro and choose not to install but instead to run live then test the WiFi.

I read somewhere earlyer that the deleted wifi password could help, so there is no password on my wifi and the problem has gone for some reason. If the problem appears again,. I will try your advice.