Question USB WiFi Adapter Started To Give Packet Loss In Games Like Fortnite

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
Hey, I have had this USB Wi-Fi Adapter since 25th Dec 2020. On my old PC I cant recall ever getting packet loss. On my new PC which I got on 25th Dec 2021, around 2 weeks ago I have started to get packet loss in my games. It was around this time that I reset my PC because of it thinking I must have done an optimisation or something that bombed and made it worse. I only get packet loss around 15% of the time which is 15% too much. If it is not packet loss I will have around 20-30 ping still with the feeling of packet loss. I also paid for 150MBPS Wi-Fi and am only getting around 45mbps and 15 upload. I used to get around 30 mostly even after I got my new PC before this started happening. When I did the reset PC I did do a cloud reinstall incase that has something to do with it, there was like an hour where I was getting the speeds that I actually paid for, I hopped on speedtest just out of boredom and was shocked at the 150MBPS download and 27 upload which the download I never even got on my old pc.
Here is the Wi-Fi adapter I have:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BHY92R4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey, I have had this USB Wi-Fi Adapter since 25th Dec 2020. On my old PC I cant recall ever getting packet loss. On my new PC which I got on 25th Dec 2021, around 2 weeks ago I have started to get packet loss in my games. It was around this time that I reset my PC because of it thinking I must have done an optimisation or something that bombed and made it worse. I only get packet loss around 15% of the time which is 15% too much. If it is not packet loss I will have around 20-30 ping still with the feeling of packet loss. I also paid for 150MBPS Wi-Fi and am only getting around 45mbps and 15 upload. I used to get around 30 mostly even after I got my new PC before this started happening. When I did the reset PC I did do a cloud reinstall incase that has something to do with it, there was like an hour where I was getting the speeds that I actually paid for, I hopped on speedtest just out of boredom and was shocked at the 150MBPS download and 27 upload which the download I never even got on my old pc.
Here is the Wi-Fi adapter I have:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BHY92R4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Do you have it plugged into the dock if so that can be issue one they normally are cheap and disposable the moment you pull it out the box, I never use them for the most part. Two I never really used these types of doungles they always seem to have issues somewhere, if you want to use a USB wifi dongle I would recommend an Asus or Netgear mid to higher tear one they don't seem to have as many problems WHEN IT COMES TO WIFI I love Asus with my life BUT Netgear has them all round beat on internet related products

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
Do you have it plugged into the dock if so that can be issue one they normally are cheap and disposable the moment you pull it out the box, I never use them for the most part. Two I never really used these types of doungles they always seem to have issues somewhere, if you want to use a USB wifi dongle I would recommend an Asus or Netgear mid to higher tear one they don't seem to have as many problems WHEN IT COMES TO WIFI I love Asus with my life BUT Netgear has them all round beat on internet related products
Well, there is no possible way for me to get ethernet so I was going to purchase a powerline adaptor so I could use ethernet through that but I read that they work terribly in power strips and I have no where else to put one.
if you want to use a USB wifi dongle
What do you mean if I want to use a USB wifi dongle? Do you mean that I should use a WiFi card because those are the only methods of Wifi I know.

The type of wifi adapter you have is a USB wifi adapter with a dock, I would try cutting the dock out of the equation and plug straight into the PC. I also would try checking the website for updated drivers. Wifi cards are a wifi card that you have to open the PC up and plugg straight into the mobo
I also do have it plugged into the dock.
Another issue you may have is if you have windows auto update setup and have it downloading everything it maybe using windows default drivers instead of the proper driver meant for the card,

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
The type of wifi adapter you have is a USB wifi adapter with a dock, I would try cutting the dock out of the equation and plug straight into the PC. I also would try checking the website for updated drivers. Wifi cards are a wifi card that you have to open the PC up and plugg straight into the mobo
Bruhhhhh, I am actually so dumb how did I never think of that? Yes I know how to put in a wifi card thank you but for thetime being if this is still bad I will switch

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
Another issue you may have is if you have windows auto update setup and have it downloading everything it maybe using windows default drivers instead of the proper driver meant for the card,
How do I disable that? I also tried it and at first it kept cutting in and out, it then stopped and then I headed to Speedtest.net and get 75mbps download and around 25mbps upload although still getting a few spikes while playing.

Edit: It just cut out again,something else it started to do a month ago

Last edited: