Question USB Wifi Adaptor not working on MOBO USB Ports

Penrose

Commendable
May 26, 2019
So I have the B450M S2H from Gigabyte, and I have a usb wifi adaptor which I plugged into the usb ports on the motherboard, and when I check the internet speed, it's only 6~8 Mbps. However when I move the usb router WiFi adapter to the front panel usb port of my PC case, It goes to like 45 Mbps. The motherboard is new and I don't see any issues with my CPU or GPU, I'm worried that the usb port on my MOBO is broken or something. When I was installing the IO shield, it had little metal tabs poking inward for every hole, which was kinda in the way as well, so I pressed it in with a little bit of force and heard a crack, which was most likely the shield snapping into place, but my paranoia keeps telling me I broke the ports. I didn't put that much pressure and I'm sure the MOBO can handle that much also. Is my MOBO most likely broken? Or am I being paranoid for nothing?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the rear USB ports were busted the adapter wouldn't even be detected so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

You are getting a much stronger (and therefore faster) WiFi signal when the adapter is plugged in at the front rather than it being plugged in at the back where it is no doubt in close proximity to a wall. At the front there are fewer obstacles and plenty of space to allow for much better WiFi connection to the router/modem.