USB/win98 help again.

Help again! I get an IRQ resource conflict with a new PCI USB card (with the
printer) and removing unused COM ports in Device Manager safe mode doesn't
help. When trying to load the drivers, 'add new hardware' wizard can't find
a bunch of .inf files and won't look anywhere else but on the Win98 CD which
doesn't have them, even though genuine. I can't get it to look at the
usb.cab file which is supposed to contain them even though I down;loaded it
onto a floppy. The driver CD with the card doesn,t seem to help, and neither
does just installing the appropriate .exe from it. Can someone help? I hate
to throw away a handy device. Thanks.

Forgot to say-does the lack of a reference to USB in the BIOS setup matter?
Mark Dunn <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Help again! I get an IRQ resource conflict with a new PCI USB card (with
the
> printer) and removing unused COM ports in Device Manager safe mode doesn't
> help. When trying to load the drivers, 'add new hardware' wizard can't
find
> a bunch of .inf files and won't look anywhere else but on the Win98 CD
which
> doesn't have them, even though genuine. I can't get it to look at the
> usb.cab file which is supposed to contain them even though I down;loaded
it
> onto a floppy. The driver CD with the card doesn,t seem to help, and
neither
> does just installing the appropriate .exe from it. Can someone help? I
hate
> to throw away a handy device. Thanks.

I'm not sure of the specific problems but Win98SE supposedly corrected the
USB shortcomings of Win98 (&Win95). Can you update?

> Forgot to say-does the lack of a reference to USB in the BIOS setup
> matter?
> Mark Dunn <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Help again! I get an IRQ resource conflict with a new PCI USB card (with
> the
>> printer) and removing unused COM ports in Device Manager safe mode
>> doesn't
>> help. When trying to load the drivers, 'add new hardware' wizard can't
> find
>> a bunch of .inf files and won't look anywhere else but on the Win98 CD
> which
>> doesn't have them, even though genuine. I can't get it to look at the
>> usb.cab file which is supposed to contain them even though I down;loaded
> it
>> onto a floppy. The driver CD with the card doesn,t seem to help, and
> neither
>> does just installing the appropriate .exe from it. Can someone help? I
> hate
>> to throw away a handy device. Thanks.

I have a Win98 CD with 'second edition' in smallish print. But when prompted
to update, I eventually get 'You cannot update from this disk. You need to
upgrade.' Do I need to update the BIOS?
Tom Clydesdale <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm not sure of the specific problems but Win98SE supposedly corrected the
> USB shortcomings of Win98 (&Win95). Can you update?
>
> "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Forgot to say-does the lack of a reference to USB in the BIOS setup
> > matter?
> > Mark Dunn <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Help again! I get an IRQ resource conflict with a new PCI USB card
(with
> > the
> >> printer) and removing unused COM ports in Device Manager safe mode
> >> doesn't
> >> help. When trying to load the drivers, 'add new hardware' wizard can't
> > find
> >> a bunch of .inf files and won't look anywhere else but on the Win98 CD
> > which
> >> doesn't have them, even though genuine. I can't get it to look at the
> >> usb.cab file which is supposed to contain them even though I
down;loaded
> > it
> >> onto a floppy. The driver CD with the card doesn,t seem to help, and
> > neither
> >> does just installing the appropriate .exe from it. Can someone help? I
> > hate
> >> to throw away a handy device. Thanks.

As a rule, to go from Windows 95 to Windows 98, one needs a Windows 98 upgrade
version. The Windows 98SE CD you have is suitable for a clean install from
scratch. There are exceptions and there are ways to install Win 98SE to replace
Windows 95, but I am not well enough versed to explain how to do it.

No BIOS upgrade is needed. The BIOS has nothing to do with this problem.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:33:23 -0000, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a Win98 CD with 'second edition' in smallish print. But when prompted
>to update, I eventually get 'You cannot update from this disk. You need to
>upgrade.' Do I need to update the BIOS?
>Tom Clydesdale <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I'm not sure of the specific problems but Win98SE supposedly corrected the
>> USB shortcomings of Win98 (&Win95). Can you update?
>>
>> "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Forgot to say-does the lack of a reference to USB in the BIOS setup
>> > matter?
>> > Mark Dunn <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>(with
>> > the
>> > find
>> > which
>down;loaded
>> > it
>> > neither
>> > hate

Sorry, I didn't explain I already have win98. I managed to get the missing
sys files installed from downloads but it caused a Wndows protection error
and I became sore afraid. So after 8 hours trying it's going back unless
there's a magician out there.

Ben Myers wrote:

> Windows ALWAYS updates the ESCD every time the system
> boots, even if the contents of the ESCD are unchanged from prior to the system
> boot. Good software design, huh? Par for the course. Which is a triple bogey
> and a shanked field goal in the case of Micro$oft... Ben Myers

....shanked... LOL!

Although, if you look at it from Microsoft's perspective it is a
catastrophic success on their part. Catastrophic for people who wish to
continue to use their computers, a success for Microsoft who sells
another version of their software when users are forced to buy a new one.

Fireclown

Right. Microsoft is a marketing organization, not a software engineering
organization, despite Bill Gates' pretensions of being a chief architect and
despite all the posturing of the Microsoft PR machine to the contrary.

I don't mind Microsoft cranking out new releases of products to sell again and
again. That IS the way in a capitalist society, and other companies have also
figured out business models with a lot of recurring revenue. What continues to
a vexing concern to all is the lack of stability and security in the Microsoft
products. And the over-complicated way in which all the software is done,
which, of course, contributes to the failures according to the most basic
engineering theory. Architect? Hah! I've seen better architecture in the
discard pile at my town dump... Ben Myers