Question USB Windows 10 installation problems

Sep 26, 2018
I'm trying to install windows 10 on a old custom rig (4-5 years) for my sis, which of specs I dont know. The usb setup takes forever to load (1hr to 3hr) then when I finally made it work after deleting partitions for the ssd (which took 20hours) and start finally downloading Windows 10 it stayed on the first step for 15 hours and didn't change from 0%. I decided just to give up and go on here for some help since on my current rig I can literally go through the whole setup in 10-15min.

Extra info:
Trying to download Windows 10 LTSC Enterprise since when I used to use the rig bloatware effected the cpu greatly.

Lutfij

Titan
First and foremost, you're going to have to come back to this thread with the specs to your sister's system. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Following that, you will need to use Windows Media Creation Tools to create a bootable USB installer for your system. You shouldn't have partitions on an SSD unless the partitions were created by the OS during installation procedure.

Sep 26, 2018
First and foremost, you're going to have to come back to this thread with the specs to your sister's system. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Following that, you will need to use Windows Media Creation Tools to create a bootable USB installer for your system. You shouldn't have partitions on an SSD unless the partitions were created by the OS during installation procedure.
Like I said its an old rig, I used the tool you mentioned to create the bootable usb otherwise I wouldn't have a bootable usb to install windows 10. I had partitions on the system since it was an old rig and I used to use the ssd for storage.

I will go figure out the specs right now also there is no os which is why I'm installing one now.

Sep 26, 2018
Specs:
CPU: Intel i5-4460
Motherboard: ASROCK H81M-VG4
Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 2x8gb 1866MHz DDR3
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 Evo
GPU: MSI GAMING GeForce 970
PSU: EVGA 500 W1, 80+
Chassis: I wasn't able to find the specific case but it is a raidmax

USAFRet

Titan
I'm trying to install windows 10 on a old custom rig (4-5 years) for my sis, which of specs I dont know. The usb setup takes forever to load (1hr to 3hr) then when I finally made it work after deleting partitions for the ssd (which took 20hours) and start finally downloading Windows 10 it stayed on the first step for 15 hours and didn't change from 0%. I decided just to give up and go on here for some help since on my current rig I can literally go through the whole setup in 10-15min.

Extra info:
Trying to download Windows 10 LTSC Enterprise since when I used to use the rig bloatware effected the cpu greatly.

You have major issues.
20 hours to delete partitions?
15 hours at 0%?
No.

Try a different drive.
And, on that hardware, a clean install of WIn 10 Home or Pro is no more filled with bloatware than LTSB.

Sep 26, 2018
You have major issues.
20 hours to delete partitions?
15 hours at 0%?
No.

Try a different drive.
And, on that hardware, a clean install of WIn 10 Home or Pro is no more filled with bloatware than LTSB.
Yeah, I realized I have major issues with the computer. Already tried changing the drive even before I made this thread. I don’t believe it to be a issue with the drive but perhaps with the hardware. I just don’t know what. It can’t be an issue with the usb since I used the exact same usb and iso (without changing or do anything to it) to install windows 10 on my new rig and it was perfectly fine. In fact, it installed ltsc enterprise in about 10min. Reason i’m using ltsc instead of pro is because it has less bloatware and basically no windows features that come with pro. Ltsc lowered my cpu usage a bunch idle compared to pro.

I also don’t have the option to buy new hardware at the moment so you have any other suggestions as to what I try or do?

USAFRet

Titan
OK, disregarding LTSB vs Home or Pro...you still have major hardware issues.
Changing the drive didn't work.
The USB install works on other hardware.

RAM, possibly? Have you run a RAM test?
Create a bootable memtest86 and run that. It should finish with zero errors.

USAFRet

Titan
Windows 10 it stayed on the first step for 15 hours and didn't change from 0%. I

Seems to me the 6 year old custom rig does not support windows 10.
My current HTPC runs on a now 7 year old i5-3570k. Win 10 Home.
I have a 2009 era low end Toshiba laptop, Celeron 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

His i5-4460 based should be no problem, assuming it all actually works.

This machine should run Win10 like a champ (I mean, I'm running it at work on Core 2 Quad with 8 Gb of RAM); I suspect the motherboard to be on the fritz, or the RAM to be defective.

I'd recommend getting a Linux liveUSB drive and running memtest86+ off of it (it will probably require booting in Legacy mode) to check the RAM; but if even that one is running sluggish (it is technically a very lightweight operating system, which should run on anything built these past 20 years), then it's more than likely the motherboard.

If the RAM is good, you could try finding a new mobo. If the RAM's dead, scrap it and get a newer CPU+mobo+RAM combo.

Sep 26, 2018
This machine should run Win10 like a champ (I mean, I'm running it at work on Core 2 Quad with 8 Gb of RAM); I suspect the motherboard to be on the fritz, or the RAM to be defective.

I'd recommend getting a Linux liveUSB drive and running memtest86+ off of it (it will probably require booting in Legacy mode) to check the RAM; but if even that one is running sluggish (it is technically a very lightweight operating system, which should run on anything built these past 20 years), then it's more than likely the motherboard.

If the RAM is good, you could try finding a new mobo. If the RAM's dead, scrap it and get a newer CPU+mobo+RAM combo.
Yeah im currently in the process of running memtest to see if there are any errors

Sep 26, 2018

I think it honestly should be a motherboard issue since I've had to replace the ram about 2 times.