USB Wireless Adapter Internet Speed limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomx3

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Hello,

I have a Belkin wireless N router and my PC uses a dual band wireless N USB stick. My internet speed when hardwired is 30 MB but when connected using my USB adapter it does not exceed 15 MB. Is there a limit on USB adapters and is there a way to increase the internet speed here?

Thank you :)

If you go over the speed limit you get a ticket. Lol , just kidding.

The wired connection is always going to have a speed advantage over wireless and the wireless because of the design of it cannot be increased. When you buy a wireless router and wireless adapter it gives you the rated speed of it and to increase it you need to get a different router and adapter.

The rated speed may say , up to 300 mbs for a regularwireless N and then they came out with up to 450 mbs but you have to have both router and adapter say they are rated for that speed.

If you want to get the newewst technology which is the Ac band , that will give you rated speeds of up to 1 gbs , but again you have to get both router and adapter that is rated for that speed.

phantomx3

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
LOL

Thanks for your response. My router and adapter speeds are compatible and supports +450 MB but I am guessing that is for file sharing and not for internet connection?

What I am not sure of is whether there is a speed cap on internet connections vs file sharing using USB adapters.

I don't know of any cap just a rating for transfer speeds , as you can see by looking at the progression of routers rated speeds they are tryng to get the wireless speeds to be the same as wired and with this latest Ac band they have done just that and wirelewss Ac is now rated at the gigabit speed.
I do believe that if there was a cap and a way around it you would have no doubt heard of it by now.
I also know that if I had to connect by wireless I would have no trouble getting one of those Ac band routers and I will be keeping an eye on them and if I hear that they are going over the gigabit speed I'll get one even though my router sits right next to my desktop and is connected by cable.

phantomx3

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
That's whats driving me insane. Like you, I have never heard of a cap but I can only get 15-16 MB tops using the wireless adapter although it supports 450+ speed!

Thanks for you input, I appreciate it :)

Richard Einstein

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

I have a Dell N5110 which had terrible wireless performance (6mbps download) using stock Dell drivers. It has an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 card.

Dell does not offer an updated driver on their website to correct the problems. I went to the Intel website and downloaded the latest drivers. The wireless card is incredibly fast now (65mbps download) outperforming even the CAT5 LAN by 8X.

Look in your system/device manager/network adapters to find which wireless device is inside your computer. Go to the manufacturer's (Ex: Intel, not Dell) website for the correct drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.