USB Wireless stick suddenly goes to crap

Septu

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
USB Wireless stick: D-Link DWA-130
Computer: i7 4770k, CPU @ 3.50 GHz, 8GB RAM, WIN7 Pro

I've been using this setup for the past 3 years, and while I've occasionally had issues with it (ISP related), for the vast majority of the time it's been fine. Easily good enough to game online with. However this weekend I moved... and my speeds became absolutely brutal - to the point that just loading google takes a moment. I have a 20 Gbps connection and I'm only getting .05 Gbps - 2.5 GBps (it varies, however is usually around 1Gbps). This is using the "speed test tool" from my local provider that is located in the same town as me.

At first I figured it's the connection and spent some time talking to my ISP. Then I tried my laptop, both wired and on wireless. It gets a steady 18-21 Gbps regardless of it's connection or where it is in the house. I've tried updating/re-installing the software for my USB stick (no new software has been released for it). And I've tried plugging it into different USB ports on my motherboard. No change in my performance.

This is maddening seeing how 1 week ago this exact same setup (no new software/hardware installed) - just with a different access point (different cable box - model, etc) worked just fine. I had never done a speed test... but then neither did I really have any latency issues when browsing (if I did it was usually because firefox had too many tabs open and was using up too much memory - not the issue now). Short of replacing the hardware, or moving the cable box so that it's closer to my computer, anyone have any thoughts/idea's?

Solution
Before booting and connecting your computer feel the USB wireless adapter.

Boot up and wait a few minutes. Carefully touch the adapter and see if it is warm or even hot.

Play for as normal and again carefully feel the adapter. If it is very warm and even very hot then it probably is at EOL (End of Life).

You can extend the test some by moving the adapter out and away from the computer into cooler air.

May take a bit longer to heat up or, if you are lucky, not heat up at all.

I have had a couple of adapter's go bad - getting hot was a common factor.

Ralston18

Titan
Before booting and connecting your computer feel the USB wireless adapter.

Boot up and wait a few minutes. Carefully touch the adapter and see if it is warm or even hot.

Play for as normal and again carefully feel the adapter. If it is very warm and even very hot then it probably is at EOL (End of Life).

You can extend the test some by moving the adapter out and away from the computer into cooler air.

May take a bit longer to heat up or, if you are lucky, not heat up at all.

I have had a couple of adapter's go bad - getting hot was a common factor.

Solution

Septu

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

Thanks I'll try that. I might even just go bite the bullet and buy another one - will make sure to keep the receipt and to be careful with the packaging so that if it doesn't resolve my issue, I can return it. I just hate replacing hardware.

Septu

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
So I replaced my stick and bought a DWA 182... 22.8 Mbps down, 3.8Mbps up. Tried to connect to the 5GHz network, however it continuously connects then disconnects (like every 15-30 seconds). Not sure what the deal is there, but the 2.4GHz works just fine so that's what I'll use.