bilswims

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Hello, everybody. First, the Cmos battery went and all was well when I replaced it. Now, my USB2 ports have become USB1 ports. How do I get the '2' back?

Solution
Only USB 2.0 Hi-Speed devices can claim to operate at the (theoretical, since few can actually reach the maximum) rate of "up to 480 Mbit/s."

So, if you want the fastest data throughput rate, ensure you chose USB 2.0 Hi-Speed. If, instead, the specs list USB 2.0 Full Speed or simply USB 2.0 (without specifying the maximum rate of 480 Mbits/s), then it's really using USB 1.1 transfer rates, which is 40x slower than USB 2.0 Hi-Speed.

bilswims

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
That was it! I tweaked the BIOS and all is well. One question: I had a choice between 'fullspeed' and 'highspeed' for the USB and left it at the 'fullspeed' default. What is the difference between the two?

Only USB 2.0 Hi-Speed devices can claim to operate at the (theoretical, since few can actually reach the maximum) rate of "up to 480 Mbit/s."

So, if you want the fastest data throughput rate, ensure you chose USB 2.0 Hi-Speed. If, instead, the specs list USB 2.0 Full Speed or simply USB 2.0 (without specifying the maximum rate of 480 Mbits/s), then it's really using USB 1.1 transfer rates, which is 40x slower than USB 2.0 Hi-Speed.

Solution

bilswims

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

Thanks, pjmelect. I appreciate the info. b