USB2 Support

"Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:OBplljfnFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Can I (and if so, how) get Win98SE to support a USB2 device.
> Thanks

Yes. First, you need to find out if your motherboard
supports USB2. While you can update drivers,
you cannot update the ports on a USB1 machine,
as they are connected to a USB1 controller
on the motherboard which cannot be upgraded.

If you have a USB1 mobo, you need to buy
a USB2 PCI controller card, which will
have the requesite USB2 ports.

Make sure that it comes with WIN98SE drivers.

The device (you don't say what device and manufacturer it is) must have Win98SE
drivers available, either on an accompanying disk or from the manufacturer's web
site. It is up to the individual manufacturers whether they supply a Win98SE driver
for their device.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Can I (and if so, how) get Win98SE to support a USB2 device.
> Thanks

Mike

Splendid

Hugh Candlin wrote:
> "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>Can I (and if so, how) get Win98SE to support a USB2 device.
>>Thanks
>

> Yes. First, you need to find out if your motherboard
> supports USB2. While you can update drivers,
> you cannot update the ports on a USB1 machine,
> as they are connected to a USB1 controller
> on the motherboard which cannot be upgraded.
>
> If you have a USB1 mobo, you need to buy
> a USB2 PCI controller card, which will
> have the requesite USB2 ports.
>
> Make sure that it comes with WIN98SE drivers.

And then go get the usb updates
http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

geoff

Thanks Glen (and David). I have emailed the card reader's manufacturer for a
driver but still have not heard back from them. Guess I am wondering whether
there is a generic driver available to allow devices to work under USB2 or
do the drivers have to be specific to the device.

..
> The device (you don't say what device and manufacturer it is) must have
> Win98SE
> drivers available, either on an accompanying disk or from the
> manufacturer's web
> site. It is up to the individual manufacturers whether they supply a
> Win98SE driver
> for their device.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>> Can I (and if so, how) get Win98SE to support a USB2 device.
>> Thanks

Think I know what you're getting at. The ENHC driver for a USB2 may work
for all the controllers on a motherboard, and that is the analogy
association. No, there's no generic driver per se that works with all
devices that are USB2 capable. External case USB2/Firewire hard drives
should not need a driver an long as the USB2 or Firewire controller has the
proper driver. The hardware you're adding has to be USB2/highspeed specific
to work at that speed. If so, and it needs a driver, the maker should be
supplying it if 98SE is listed as minimum system requirement Sometimes,
they don't state details like it may be limited to USB 1.1 with such an
older OS. But, you may find it as an FAQ at the appropriate website for the
device maker.

> Thanks Glen (and David). I have emailed the card reader's manufacturer for
> driver but still have not heard back from them. Guess I am wondering
whether
> there is a generic driver available to allow devices to work under USB2 or
> do the drivers have to be specific to the device.
>
> .
> > The device (you don't say what device and manufacturer it is) must have
> > Win98SE
> > drivers available, either on an accompanying disk or from the
> > manufacturer's web
> > site. It is up to the individual manufacturers whether they supply a
> > Win98SE driver
> > for their device.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> >> Can I (and if so, how) get Win98SE to support a USB2 device.
> >> Thanks

TRENDING THREADS