USB3.0 port runs at USB2.0 speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2020
Hey guys, I just noticed that the transfer rate on my only USB3.0 port is bottlenecking at 40MB/S, so I did some research and I found out that my USB3.0 port on USB Tree shows up as a 2.0 port, I am not sure why this is happening and I've tried reinstalling the drivers, enabling xHCI in BIOS and I'm running the latest BIOS version, and to be honest, I'm not even sure since how long this problem has existed... Using another USB3.0 port is out of the equation as I've got just one of those... Any help would be cool...
And yeah, this is a Asus X550CC running Windows 10-64 bit (Build 18362), tried the same on Ubuntu, but got no success.

Oct 8, 2020
Yeah, I do know that, the issue is that the USB3.0 port isn't working at 3.0 speeds, and even USB Tree shows it as a 2.0 device

Oct 8, 2020
No, it clearly shows as a USB 3.0 Hub (first one listed in the tree). Nothing you've presented is a problem. If your device/s aren't getting full speed then it's a problem with that device/s
If you do look at the screenshot I uploaded, a USB3.0 HDD is recognized as a USB2.0 signifed by the "H" symbol instead of "SS", and I have tried multiple storage devices that work perfectly on other devices and are recognized as 3.0 complaint one's which simply doesnt happen here.

Since you have yet to actually identify the affected device by make/model we can only guess. A bunch of random speed tests without identifying the devices being tested is totally useless. However, it sure looks like a spinning drive, which will never reach USB 3 speeds. Therefore everything is as stated above, there is nothing wrong with your laptop ports, the issue exists with the attached device.

Oct 8, 2020
Since you have yet to actually identify the affected device by make/model we can only guess. A bunch of random speed tests without identifying the devices being tested is totally useless. However, it sure looks like a spinning drive, which will never reach USB 3 speeds. Therefore everything is as stated above, there is nothing wrong with your laptop ports, the issue exists with the attached device.
Yeah well, I did specify my device as a Asus X550CC in the first message, and the drive used to benchmark it is a Seagate ST-2000LM07(Seagate Backup Plus Slim), and mind you, this very device has hit 140MB/S read and 95MB/S write on this very device, I can't understand why you're blaming it on the storage, and secondly, I can't really get what's wrong with the screenshots? It does prove that the HDD is capable of speeds much better then what I'm getting and that it's bottlenecking at 40MB/S which, coincidentally is the max output speed of a USB2.0 port, if you want more devices with more benchmarks, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.