[SOLVED] Usbc front header not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2022
Hello! Very stupid question but I just want somebody more capable to help me with this.

I have a chassi with a USB 3.1 Gen front header (fractal meshify 2), and my motherboard, asus TUF B550-pro has a USB 3.2 gen 1 beside the front USB 3.0 header (which works), however the usb c doesnt seem to work. Is it possible that I have to plug it correctly? it looks like it can plug either way with the cable already attached to the chassi, and I have tried flipping it around to see but it still doesnt work. Everything else works fine, and the usb c at the back of the motherboard works.

In case that the cable is plugged wrong- can it damage my board somehow? nothing odd has happened as of yet and ive had this pc for a month, with my first time trying to use the header today but i just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
Looking up info it says that the front USB C is a USB 3.1 Gen 2 and on my motherboard the port is a USB 3.2 gen 1.

Ah, thats why.
You'll need an adapter to match the two connectors.

its not faulty, its just a problem with compatability, find one that matches your motherboard and the port on the chassis cable.

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
Not a stupid question, ive had the same problem before.

It wont damage your board but i would check the connection and see if theres any dirt or any looks items in the usbc header.

what case do you have? a faulty cable may also be the problem.

Sep 15, 2022
Not a stupid question, ive had the same problem before.

It wont damage your board but i would check the connection and see if theres any dirt or any looks items in the usbc header.

what case do you have? a faulty cable may also be the problem.

Ah thank you so much for responding!

I cleaned it out and still no respons :(

I have a fractal meshify 2 chassi. Looking up info it says that the front USB C is a USB 3.1 Gen 2 and on my motherboard the port is a USB 3.2 gen 1.
After cleaning and digging around I noticed the motherboard port had an arrow on the top (meaning a cable needs to match up) however the cable in my chassi doesn't, and I was wrong before the cable isnt completely symmetrical but no direction gives response so I guess i'll assume that the cable is simply just faulty. :,)

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
Looking up info it says that the front USB C is a USB 3.1 Gen 2 and on my motherboard the port is a USB 3.2 gen 1.

Ah, thats why.

its not faulty, its just a problem with compatability, find one that matches your motherboard and the port on the chassis cable.

Solution
Sep 15, 2022

Ah, thats why.

Gosh I feel a little extra stupid now lol- thank you though!

I tried searching online before and assumed the ports were compatible- just named confusingly. Again, thanks for helping! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.