Question USBs in front panel working bad, too low +12V voltage and strange thing looking like congealed glue in PSU Elementum E2 Sl-450

ELdred

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Hi,

my problem started with USB ports not working properly in front panel of my PC. When I was using external SDD connected to one of these ports (either USB 2.0 or 3.0) it worked just sometimes, speed of transfer varied and when I checked the disk using a program that scans surface, there were CRC errors... I even replaced the external case for the 2,5'' SSD, but I figured out later that the disk and the external case were absolutely fine when I plugged it to any USB port available at back of my PC and there were no CRC errors.
I have motherboard MSI B75MA-P45 and PSU Elementum E2 Sl-450, I bought this computer from someone a year ago and it was already used I think about 2 years. I plugged the connector for USBs of front panel to JUSB2 instead of JUSB1 on my mainboard, but the problem was still there. I cleaned the computer form dust (also inside PSU) and it didn't help. I checked voltages in BIOS and they look fine, for example voltage +12 V is about 11,85 V. However right now in HWMonitor (I'm using Windows 10) you can see that voltage +12 V is only about 8,2 V. Voltage +5V seems to be too high, it is +5,6 V. See screenshot:

HWMonitor.jpg

Also a strange thing I discovered when cleaning my PSU from dust (see below). I am not familiar much with electronics... is it normal thing - that white something that looks like congealed glue in there ?!

20240828-184313.jpg

20240828-184418.jpg

20240828-184404.jpg

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
also inside PSU
You opened up the PSU, are you nuts?
:homer:

Do you want to kill yourself?

I am not familiar much with electronics...
If you are not familiar with electronics, then why even open up the PSU???

PSU must NEVER be opened! There are 0 user serviceable parts in it. Moreover, capacitors in PSU hold lethal charge for very long time. Even years after the PSU hasn't been powered on.

that white something that looks like congealed glue in there ?!
If you must know, it is RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) silicone and it is used to hold components in place.
Further reading: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/19865249617037-PSU-What-is-this-goo-in-my-CORSAIR-PSU

you can see that voltage +12 V is only about 8,2 V.
Way out of spec voltages.

According to the ATX PSU standard, safe voltage ranges are:
+12V DC rail - tolerance ±5% ; +11.40V to +12.60V
+5V DC rail - tolerance ±5% ; +4.75V to +5.25V
+3.3V DC rail - tolerance ±5% ; +3.14V to +3.47V
-12V DC rail - tolerance ±10% ; -10.80V to -13.20V
+5V SB rail - tolerance ±5% ; +4.75V to +5.25V

So, +12V rail, at lowest, should be 11.40V. Yours is mere 8.2V...
+5V rail, at max, should be 5.25V. Yours is way above 5.6V...

Replace the PSU ASAP! Unless, you want it to kill your entire PC (and yourself too, when you go poking around inside of it).

Good PSUs to go for, are: Seasonic Focus/Vertex/PRIME, Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi, Super Flower Leadex Gold/Platinum/Titanium.
For your build, 550W range does fine. 650W unit doesn't hurt either.

(My 3x PCs are also powered by Seasonic. I have 2x PRIME TX-650 units and one Focus PX-550 unit. Full specs with pics in my sig.)

Last edited:
Reactions: ELdred

ELdred

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I was very careful when opening PSU and I didn't touch anything inside, so was there any real danger? I think I should have thick rubber gloves though. I did this to remove dust from it by blowing air with my mouth - seriously, was it dangerous and why? Secondly, how do you know my PSU is faulty? Maybe it's motherboard? In which places of PSU or motherboard should I diagnoze voltages using electric meter? I really appreciate all the advices, thanks.
Also, I wonder why voltages shown in BIOS look correct, but in Windows look incorrect? Maybe it's because there is more power consumption going on when OS is running?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Seconded, you really shouldn't open up power supplies, even for cleaning. Compressed air cans or other pressurized duster is as deep as you should go.

If you insist. The one hand rule. Whenever you are touching potentially charged electronics, only use one hand. This is to prevent a shock across your heart. Even small capacitors can carry enough current to stop it, or create a fibrillation that will require medical attention. (What the shocky paddles you see on TV are actually for)

And yes, you should use an insulated screw driver and insulated glove for maximum safety when working on high voltage.

Reactions: ELdred

ELdred

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Seconded, you really shouldn't open up power supplies, even for cleaning. Compressed air cans or other pressurized duster is as deep as you should go.

If you insist. The one hand rule. Whenever you are touching potentially charged electronics, only use one hand. This is to prevent a shock across your heart. Even small capacitors can carry enough current to stop it, or create a fibrillation that will require medical attention. (What the shocky paddles you see on TV are actually for)

And yes, you should use an insulated screw driver and insulated glove for maximum safety when working on high voltage.

Thanks. But could it faulty motherboard? Or is it PSU for sure? How to diagnoze it before replacing anything... it costs!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Confirmation that the voltages are actually low would be nice. If you have a multimeter handy, you can check under a load (the only proper test of PSU voltage) System load can change the behavior of a PSU. Or you do have a short somewhere which is dragging the voltage down. USB ports are a common failure point since they can be easily damaged.

Cheap motherboard and a cheap PSU, so not sure I would make a lot of effort in troubleshooting. 3rd gen intel hardware should be inexpensive, but I would actually recommend complete replacement.

Older model i3, 10th and 12th gen, are quite cheap and equivalent to 6th and 7th gen i7. DDR4 is very inexpensive at the moment as well. And you need a better PSU regardless if you want a system to last a while.

Local prices may vary:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($68.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte H410M H V2 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($72.22 @ Amazon)
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($29.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: MSI MAG A550BN 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($58.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $229.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-08-28 17:09 EDT-0400

ELdred

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
In which places in particular should I check voltages ? Again, how do I know whether it's faulty PSU or motherboard? I dont want to invest any money more than it's absolutely necessary for this PC to operate normally.
I asked ChatGPT and it claims that my computer consumes only about 170W , so why would I need any better PSU than 450 W ?!

Last edited:

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
my problem started with USB ports not working properly in front panel of my PC.
Was this a home-built PC or a major OEM brand (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.)?

Do the front USB ports have markings or blue colored plastic to indicate that they're USB 3 compatible? Some cases are only designed to support USB 2.0 speeds in the front. Perhaps you're dealing with USB 2.0-spec ports plugged into USB 3 motherboard headers.

FWIW, I always plug storage into the rear USB ports, just to minimize the potential for issues like these.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I did this to remove dust from it by blowing air with my mouth
Air you blow out from your mouth contains saliva. That is electrically conductive and you can easily short out the PSU once you turn it on again. Hence why use compressed air, since that doesn't contain moisture.

seriously, was it dangerous and why?
Everything to do with power delivery is serious business. And you not knowing anything about how electricity or PSUs work, means you have 0 business opening one up and "fixing" it. You can not fix a bad PSU.

Many people have electrocuted themselves by grossly underestimating the power of low-voltage. Every year, far more people have been electrocuted by low-voltage than that of a high-voltage. Under right circumstances, even your phone's battery can kill you.

There is a reason why electricians have to have valid license and extensive education, before they can poke around in any power supply unit or electrical panel.

Secondly, how do you know my PSU is faulty? Maybe it's motherboard?
MoBo doesn't tell the PSU how PSU must operate. It's the PSU's job to take the 120V/240V AC from the mains and turn it into 12V, 5V and 3.3V DC, while maintaining the correct voltage levels regardless the varying loads of what other PC components may pull from it. If the PSU can not maintain e.g 12V rail within spec - it is PSU's fault and not MoBo's fault.

In which places of PSU or motherboard should I diagnoze voltages using electric meter?
Testing the PSU, while powered on, but without 0 load (on idle), doesn't tell anything meaningful. You need to test PSU under load, but such PSU testing equipment costs a lot of money and only few people have such equipment.

In a similar sense; testing idle PSU with multimeter is like turning on the car's engine and instantly assuming the car drives fine, without ever doing the test drive.

But if you still want to test idle PSU, here's guide about how to do it,
link: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/explo...ly-units/how-to-test-a-psu-power-supply-unit/

Also, I wonder why voltages shown in BIOS look correct, but in Windows look incorrect? Maybe it's because there is more power consumption going on when OS is running?
In BIOS, there is minimal load on PSU and voltages may look within spec. Once OS loads, there's more load on PSU (e.g for one, GPU draws more power to display desktop). And that small increase in load on PSU, can be enough for crap quality PSU, to fail on voltage regulation, thus, making it to feed way out of spec voltages to the PC.

If you keep using that PSU, it WILL damage and kill your PC. So, besides new PSU, you're then also looking towards new whole PC.

Or is it PSU for sure?
For 2nd opinion about your PSU, look it up from PSU tier list,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

You'll find your SilentiumPC Elementum E2 SI 450W (specs) unit under Tier D, low priority units. It's essentially crap quality.
While what i suggested earlier, and am personally using, are all Tier A.

I asked ChatGPT and it claims that my computer consumes only about 170W , so why would I need any better PSU than 450 W ?!
ChatGPT isn't some oracle, for anyone to believe it's responses as holy revelation. ChatGPT is semi-intelligent program, machine learned to give some responses.

And even while your PC may consume ~170W, the fact is that there aren't many 450W units out there that are of good or great quality. Usually 450W units are mediocre/low/crap quality. Hence why i said 550W, while 650W doesn't hurt either.

And since today's PCs consume a lot of power (namely GPUs), you can find that 750W PSUs are actually cheaper than their 550W counterparts.

E.g Corsair RM750x, a good quality 750W PSU, has equal price to Corsair CX450m, a mediocre quality 450W PSU,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/FQ648d,6NcG3C/

Or Seasonic Focus GX-650, another good quality 650W PSU, is actually cheaper than Seasonic S12III, a crap quality 550W PSU,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/3G97YJ,RzfFf7/

So, why pay same or more money for inferior PSU? Having 100-200W excess on PSU's capacity doesn't hurt the system.