Usbs not working when I plug in a flash drive

Pam726

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
I am running windows xp on an old dell precision xps400. I installed a new copy of windows so I know I don't have a virus or malware. I can see the usb under device manager but when I try to plug in any usb device, it either tells me it is not recognized , or it will say it has installed a new device and it shows up under my computer as a removable device that i can not access. Normally when you plug in a flash drive a window will pop us and ask you what you want to do with it. It doesn't do that. I tried to see if i could change the drive path, but when I pull it up in disk manager, it doesn't show up in there. The keyboard and mouse work fine on all the usb ports front and back, although I did get a blue screen with a usbsys error when I unplugged the keyboard and plugged it in again in the usb port on the back. I tried using a different keyboard and although I don't get the usbsys error, it still didn't fix my problem. I purchased a pci usb card and it installed and was recognized under device manager , but it didn't recognize anything I plugged into it, not even the mouse or keyboard. I have updated my bios and drivers through dell. I couldn't find a specific chipset driver for my motherboard, just the software though intel. I wasn't sure if it would be a driver since the pci card didn't work either and it installed fine. I have picked my brain and tried every thing I could google. I have tried everything from uninstalling the usb's under device manager , unplugging the power for 10 min., taking the battery out of the motherboard, Nothing works. I am hoping there is someone that is tech savy that can give me some advice. I really need this running. Thank you in advance for any help.