[SOLVED] USBS turn off after boot

NekoVerse

Prominent
Mar 21, 2020
After initial booting, when it gets to the windows page, all my usb things turn off. My mouse, keyboard, headphones, and microphone are all usb meaning I can’t use it at all. This started when I unplugged my razor mouse cord from the dock so I could put it in the mouse and charge it. Suddenly all of my usb item’s rgb went off and they stopped working, I then tried to put it back into the dock, which did nothing, then I tried to restart my pc, but that did nothing to change it too.

Solution
99% sure bleepin' W10 itself disabled those usb ports. :fearscream::mad: First my suggestions, then splain. Unplug all usb. Find or create a port you were not using. Since all ports W was aware of may be disabled, this may not work. If there is a header on the board you can create new ports (maybe cable came with it) try that. Final idea, get a PCI usb card and install it. Hopefully it would be plug/play so any input device would work & disable in Registry does not apply to it.

Also, since you can't input to your own OS, look in BIOS for anything you can change. If there is a fast boot option, deselect or v-v. I don't know of anything you could put on a thumbdrive to fix this & also the port is disabled at handoff, so how will that...

Persister

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
What is your OS? The point you see W logo is "handoff" by mobo to OS so the OS has to support the USB's. What the BIOS supports no longer matters. I am not tech but had this issue w 370 chipset and W7.

Persister

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
99% sure bleepin' W10 itself disabled those usb ports. :fearscream::mad: First my suggestions, then splain. Unplug all usb. Find or create a port you were not using. Since all ports W was aware of may be disabled, this may not work. If there is a header on the board you can create new ports (maybe cable came with it) try that. Final idea, get a PCI usb card and install it. Hopefully it would be plug/play so any input device would work & disable in Registry does not apply to it.

Also, since you can't input to your own OS, look in BIOS for anything you can change. If there is a fast boot option, deselect or v-v. I don't know of anything you could put on a thumbdrive to fix this & also the port is disabled at handoff, so how will that work? Maybe some kind of proprietary boot stick, IDK.

IDK if any help here in the W10 forum, you could search it.

My quick web research finds a problem many W10 users had where power management - yes power management - keeps disabling usb. Maybe caused by an update, maybe fixed by another update -- with this nitwit OS Who knows? Reads like what happened to you. There is a ton of cheery help advice, how easy it is to prevent this happening -- maybe. It all assumes you are in Windows! Zero-zip advice when you are locked out of your own OS.

Solution

NekoVerse

Prominent
Mar 21, 2020
I've been away on vacation but thanks for the advice, will I even be able to have enough room for the usb card with this GPU though? The bottom red card is a wifi card so if I'm able to turn off the thing that's making my USBs go off, I could take it out, (I assume it's a setting I have to turn off from what I saw googling, but could you tell me exactly what it is so I make sure it doesn't happen right after I turn my pc off after)

Persister

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
I think can fit right under vid card in PCIx (small) slot. The usb cards are very small and parts all project below the board and slot, so should fit. If you had to, looks like you could even put the wifi card under the vid, I cant be sure.
Again short advice first. If this works I would try using the card ports only. Forget the mobo ports that W10 can mess with. Most cards have 4 ports.
I'm no expert how to fix W10 permanently, likely no one is. See all the issues in my link above, failed fixes, or where problem returns. That thread is older, but now google "windows 10 turns off usb ports" & use tools for past year time frame. 2 fixes on top. In Dev Mgr expand USB Controller, right-click and "Update". Restart. & Good luck to you. Also go to Advanced Power Management, find "USB selective suspend setting", choose Disabled, OK, and save settings. There may be more.
How good are these fixes & what about shut-down, change devices etc. Why should a user have this nightmare as only MS can create? I have one W10 system I was forced into & have not had usb problems but I am using simplest mouse & kb only. I think a lot of this is about the devices, maybe or especially rgb.
btw I'm only into this bc I want to put a newer gen mobo in a W7 system. If you try a pci card pls share your results.

Persister

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
One more try I forgot, longshot. BIOS may have setting for XCHI Handoff. If so, change it (only 2 choices). It's usb ports & I have no theory, only you give W10 a poke, it may reset or react. Worst can happen you get usb 2 instead of 3 so remember you did it.