use 19v notebook power supply to power 5v raspberry pi?

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
On ebay there is an item number 263818066160 which is a dc dc converter. In an youtube
video the device catches fire. Is there a device I can get to power a 5v raspberry
pi computer if the power supply is a notebook power supply having input 100v -
240v 50hz - 60hz 1.7a and output 19v 3.2a? Thank you.

Solution
I mean, a reliable DC - DC converter that is efficient and worth using is going to cost 5 or 6 times what a 5v power supply will. Then there is the matter of adapting (difficult) or ruining a laptop charger. You could probably sell that to pay for 2 or 3 5v supplies.

There are cheaper ways, but are terrible. A big zener diode and some hefty resistors. A beefy regulator. Just a huge resistor divider to burn off the excess power (but then power dissipation would have to be consistent from the Raspberry Pi, which it won't be). And if you want it safe then you have to build an enclosure or heatshrink it with some heavy duty stuff.

Questions more suitable for some place like stackoverflow or other electronics design forums.

You could...

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
It would be beneficial if you could use the power supplies you already got.

> to spend that much, just get a 5v power supply?

They device would be required to be able to compete on price.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I mean, a reliable DC - DC converter that is efficient and worth using is going to cost 5 or 6 times what a 5v power supply will. Then there is the matter of adapting (difficult) or ruining a laptop charger. You could probably sell that to pay for 2 or 3 5v supplies.

There are cheaper ways, but are terrible. A big zener diode and some hefty resistors. A beefy regulator. Just a huge resistor divider to burn off the excess power (but then power dissipation would have to be consistent from the Raspberry Pi, which it won't be). And if you want it safe then you have to build an enclosure or heatshrink it with some heavy duty stuff.

Questions more suitable for some place like stackoverflow or other electronics design forums.

You could always find a decent DC-DC converter circuit and build it yourself from discrete components.

Solution