[SOLVED] Use 2x6 PCI-E plugs to power MSI Gaming GTX 970?

Dec 5, 2021
Hi all,

I have an older MSI GTX-790 that I want to use in a PC I'm repurposing for use as a server. I think the card is a "gaming" edition since it has one PCI-E 6-pin and one 8-pin rather than the usual 6 + 6. However, the power supply in my spare chassis only has two 6-pin PCI-E plugs. Can I cheat and use those in the card or is that a non-starter? Of course I can always buy a new PS with 6+2 connectors, but would rather not spend money if I don't have to. Thx in advance!

Solution
If you aren't planning on gaming, mining, Ai, anything using the cuda cores... then you can cheat and use it with what you have. You skipped mentioning what the server might be doing with it (usually nothing)
Honestly (in the case of nothing) though I would sell it and get a Gt1030 and pocket the change.

popatim

Titan
If you aren't planning on gaming, mining, Ai, anything using the cuda cores... then you can cheat and use it with what you have. You skipped mentioning what the server might be doing with it (usually nothing)
Honestly (in the case of nothing) though I would sell it and get a Gt1030 and pocket the change.

Solution
Dec 5, 2021
It's going to be installed in a media/lab server, so while most of the time it'll be idling, I'll also be using it to hardware accelerate the transcoding my video collection (to H265). Also it'll be running docker containers and KVMs, some of which can use GPU capacity. Since I already own the card and it's not currently being used, and new cards cost a small fortune, waste not, want not, eh? Guess I'll have to pop for a new PS though. Dang.
As for selling it, I doubt many would be interested. It's an old card with scabbed on Noctua fans to replace failed ones. An ugly pig.
I have an even older video card I wish I could use in lieu of this one (Radeon 6950) since it has two 6-pin PCI-E ports, but it's even older and feebler than the GTX, so I doubt it'd help much in the server.
Thx for the advice!

Last edited: