News Use a Raspberry Pi To Catch Hackers with OpenCanary

numeratrix

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Would this work in a virtual machine? If so, any guides, tutorials or resources. to that effect. people know about would be greatly appreciated.

Network vulnerability scanners are useful, dont get me wrong. But unless you run an active network that is changing a lot, the notifications are few and far between.

I like pfSense with clam and snort. The community supported applications guard against things like attacks on iot devices (Ring cameras, alexa, default password hacks on things like ip cameras or UPnP port attacks.)

It would be nice if the instructions given in the video actually worked.
I have a new RaspBerry Pi 4B.
I followed the initial instructions to download the 32-bit version of Ubuntu 18.04.05.
If I try to run the command "pip install opencanary" it says I can't run it, I have to run "pip install opencanary-python".
Then typing "opencanaryd --copyconfig" doesn't work. It says it can't find the command.

I stopped there.
Can we get some commands that actually work?
Thank you.

Last edited:

SteveGoodenough

Prominent
Aug 23, 2020
It would be nice if the instructions given in the video actually worked.
I have a new RaspBerry Pi 4B.
I followed the initial instructions to download the 32-bit version of Ubuntu 18.04.05.
If I try to run the command "pip install opencanary" it says I can't run it, I have to run "pip install opencanary-python".
Then typing "opencanaryd --copyconfig" doesn't work. It says it can't find the command.

I stopped there.
Can we get some commands that actually work?
Thank you.

Just wondering if you followed the instructions on his github or what was shown in the video? The video misses a fair number of steps required to setup python etc.
https://github.com/mudmin/AnotherMaker/blob/master/open-canary/steps.txt

[later] I've been working through it and got the same issue; what he missed is you need a reboot after installing opencanary, login, then do opencanaryd --copyconfig

now on to see if it works...

Last edited: