Use an i5 2320 Heatsink on a Celeron G530

stat30fbliss

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
My use-case: I just bought a new case, and was going to port all of the aftermarket parts from my Dell XPS-8300.

The case is a NZXT Source 210, with a ASRock Z75 Pro3 Motherboard. As I am on a budget, and someone else had mentioned in these forums it should be doable, I was going to try and remove the i5 processor from my XPS and bring it into the new case. I plan on turning the old XPS into a simple HTPC, so I bought a cheap $44.00 G530 off of Amazon to plug into the old socket.

The problem comes where the XPS board has a screw bottom heatsink that partnered the i5. The heatsink that came with the Celeron is a clip bottom. I had read somewhere that the motherboards to the XPS 8300 is proprietary, and it is also not a very deep case to warrant a large aftermarket Cooler Master or comparible HS.

Full disclosure, this is my fist time going through this process. I am unsure how to find any other heatsinks that may be compatible with my XPS motherboard running the new Celeron chip. I am hoping the i5 heatsink will work with the new G530 and just keep it extra cool :ange:

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Well, they're both socket 1155 so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I would just go ahead and try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work, try buying aftermarket low-profile coolers that fit 1155, there's tons of them out there.

stat30fbliss

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Once I receive my Cooler Master EVO for the i5 (should be here Tuesday), I will report back with any findings.

TRENDING THREADS